Sunday, March 08, 2009

Spice-Rubbed Quail (Page 402)

RECIPE #955

  • Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A

This recipe came off the list from the random number generator. I had never actually cooked quail before, but I had no trouble finding semiboneless quail at my local butcher shop. This recipe was incredibly simple. I rubbed the quail in a mixture of salt, pepper, cayenne, and allspice, then left them sit for an hour in the refrigerator. Meanwhile I made a sauce of chicken stock, lime juice, molasses, scallions, and butter on the stovetop. I then brushed the quail with some olive oil and put them under the broiler, turning once, for about 10 minutes. I served the quail drizzled with the sauce. Broiling is always an adventure. Did the process fill our apartment with smoke? Yes. Did it start a fire in the oven? Yes. Was it worth it? Absolutely! These quail were AWESOME. My special gentleman declared these the best poultry he has ever eaten (he made a similar declaration not so long ago, but apparently this recipe even topped that one). The skin was crispy and flavorful. The meat was moist and delicious. The sauce complemented the dish well. Everything was perfectly seasoned. It was lovely. We ate these very tiny birds with our fingers, and in the end all that was left was a small pile of bones, completely cleaned of all meat and skin. We sat at the table, licking our fingers with delight! This was really an excellent dish, and extremely simple. Quail are not super-cheap, but in my opinion they were worth what we paid for them. Yum!

Here is the recipe.

One of my New Year's resolutions was to run a marathon this coming fall. Today, I started my training. Before I set out to run I was debating about where I should start in terms of mileage. Four months ago I ran a half marathon, so at that point I could run 13 miles. But I have hardly run in the last four months. The last time I even put on my running shoes was when I ran a 5K on New Year's Day. So I figured I would start easy, and only run 4 miles today. So that's what I did, and it kicked my butt. I ran a really hilly route, and apparently I thought I was in better shape than I am. I felt more or less fine during the run but afterwards I felt terrible. I laid on the floor for a while, not feeling well enough to move. Then I walked to get a sno cone, which helped a little. Then I laid on the floor some more. It took me longer to recover than it took me to do the run. I was feeling pretty bad -- just from a short little 4 mile run! Apparently, I am out of shape. So, I have a lot of work ahead of me! Luckily, I have quite a long time before the marathon. I am confident that after a few weeks of training I won't be feeling so bad! Otherwise it is going to be a long spring/summer of training!

2 comments:

Liz C said...

The quail sounds lovely, but the pic cracked me up -- all those little birds laying there with their legs spread! (Yes, I'm a very immature 49)

Good luck with your training! I had to stop running last Nov because of a stress fracture in my foot. Getting going again has been very very tough, as in 'I haven't started yet.'

Teena said...

Yeah, they were even funnier looking in real life. I admit, it cracked me up too.

That's terrible about your foot. Is it better now? It is definitely tough to get going after a long break from running. I am certainly struggling!