Saturday, March 21, 2009

Whipped Horseradish Cream (Page 893)

RECIPE #961

  • Date: Monday, February 23, 2009 -- 11pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C+


This was one of the few recipes I had left to make in the Sauces and Salsas section of The Book. I was trying to finish off that section recently, so I selected this to make a few weeks ago. This recipe was super simple. I stirred together horseradish, cider vinegar, and honey. Then in a separate bowl I whipped heavy cream until it formed soft peaks. Then I whisked in the horseradish mixture and seasoned with salt and pepper. That was it! This recipe was certainly simple, and it didn't taste bad at all, but I can't imagine any situation in which I would actually serve this. The texture was that of whipped cream, but the flavor was that of horseradish, and the two things didn't go that well together. Flavor-wise, it would be very appropriate on beef. But the texture of that combination would be that of beef with whipped cream on top. Doesn't sound so good does it? Maybe it would be possible to construct some nice hors d'oeuvre with this topping -- I'm not sure. In any event, I wasn't a huge fan of it, as I couldn't find anything to eat it with that sounded at all appealing!

This recipe isn't online.

So I made this recipe late one evening and my special gentleman was sitting in his favorite chair at the time, working on his research. Our kitchen is open to the family room, which is where he was, and he knew I was making something. He was focused on his work though, and was hence paying very little attention to my culinary endeavor. To take a picture of the dish I brought it into the front room, walking right by him. He looked at my bowl full of whipped cream, and said, "That looks good, what is it?" I answered: "Flavored whipped cream." He asked what flavor and I told him I thought it would be best if he discovered that for himself. Now, a perfectly reasonable assumption one might make would be that this was some sweet dessert-like concoction. I would have warned him that this was not the case -- I really would have -- but it never occurred to me that he would be able to get close enough to it to take a bite without smelling the strong odor of the horseradish. Somehow he did though, which meant that when he ate a nice big spoonful of it he was expecting a sugary treat, and instead got a mouthful of horseradish whipped cream. Whoops! Needless to say, he was none too happy about that. He told me several times how mean I was! His rating for this recipe? Not good. Apparently the unusual presence of horseradish in the whipped cream was even worse if you weren't expecting it!

3 comments:

Isak said...

You mention hors d'oeuvres which is one common way to use it over here in Sweden. It goes nicely with reindeer, roast beef, smoked salmon or gravlax.

If you want to use up the stuff you have left, if any that is, I'd recommend doing a wrap. Take some roast beef (or other cold cut of choice), spread the horseradish on top and roll it up, perhaps with a salad leaf and some tomato. It might be an acquired taste, but it's quite popular over here and you often see it at picnics and such.

Daniel said...

That story reminds me of when I told Silvia S. that a bar of Japanese curry roux was chocolate. I didn't think she'd believe me but she had a cold. Boy was she surprised.

Teena said...

Isak -- Thanks for the suggestions!

Daniel -- That's mean! She must have been extremely surprised...