Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Clams Oreganata (Page 327)

RECIPE #1117

  • Date: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

I chose this recipe as part of the All Seafood All The Time plan. I started by making some fresh bread crumbs from a baguette, then toasting the bread crumbs in the oven until golden. I tossed the crumbs with olive oil, sea salt, lemon zest, and minced fresh oregano. I heated some olive oil in a pot, then added minced garlic and cooked it briefly before adding chopped, canned, plum tomatoes and some minced fresh oregano. I cooked the sauce for a few minutes, then seasoned it with pepper and added some small hard-shelled clams. My special gentleman covered the pot and cooked until the clams were open. We served the clams and sauce topped with the bread crumbs. This dish was pretty good. The bread crumbs were very tasty, although I would have preferred them without the lemon zest. The tomato sauce was fine, but it didn't have much depth of flavor. This was a simple clam preparation that could easily be modified by changing the seasoning of the bread crumbs and/or what the clams are cooked with.

The recipe in The Book is the same as this one, except the one in The Book calls for more bread crumbs and olive oil.

It's amazing how much more I enjoy the airport when I am picking up someone I love rather than flying somewhere myself! I am at the Cincinnati airport, picking up my special gentleman. In a last minute change of plans, he is coming to Indiana for a few days! I am super-excited that he will be here for the rest of the week, and we are going to fly back to California together this coming weekend. I booked his ticket (yesterday!) and I got him a ticket from San Francisco to Indianapolis through Cincinnati (you can't fly direct from San Fran to Indy unfortunately!). The fact that I decided to come pick him up now in Cincinnati instead of a few hours from now in Indianapolis reflects A) How much I have missed him and B) How much I personally hate taking those little regional flights. He is a much, much calmer flier than me, but somehow I would hate to think of him having to take an extra flight when I could just come get him! So I drove the extra hour and change to pick him up in Cincinatti rather than Indy. His flight should be landing soon! Yay!

No comments: