Monday, March 29, 2010

Poached Eggs on Artichoke Bottoms with Mushrooms and White Truffle Cream (Page 636)

RECIPE #1126

  • Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010 -- 11am
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companion: Baldwin
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I was feeling like some brunch a few weeks back so I made this recipe. I started by trimming down the artichokes using the usual steps of cutting, trimming, bending, snapping, and rubbing with lemon juice. Then I put the artichoke bottoms in water acidulated with lemon juice. I then whisked some flour, olive oil, salt, and lemon juice into water and brought it to a simmer. I added the artichokes and cooked until tender. Once the artichokes had cooled a bit my special gentleman and I removed the inner leaves and fuzzy chokes from the artichoke bottoms. We also cut off the stems and thinly sliced them. I sliced some porcini mushrooms and combined them with heavy cream, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, and salt. I brought the mixture to a simmer and cooked it for a while. Then I added white truffle oil, more salt, pepper, and the sliced artichoke stems. To poach the eggs I started by buttering the bottom of a saucepan, then filling the saucepan with water and a touch of white vinegar. I poached the eggs in the barely simmering water one at a time. I seasoned the poached eggs with salt and pepper, then placed each egg on an artichoke bottom and spooned sauce over it. This dish was pretty tasty, but extremely rich. Eggs already have a richness to them, and topping the eggs with a sauce of cream and cheese only made them richer! The flavors of the eggs and the mushroom sauce went nicely together though. The artichokes seemed a little unnecassary. They didn't contribute much to the dish, other than an elegant vessel to hold the eggs. The artichokes weren't bad with the eggs, but the eggs and sauce were complemented better by some toasted brioche. In my opinion the artichokes weren't worth the work it took to prepare them. This is definitely not the dish to make if you are looking for a light breakfast/brunch, but if you are looking for a fancy, heavy dish, this one isn't bad.

The recipe is here.

I am back in Berkeley with my special gentleman, and trying to get back into the swing of things with my project. My life has been so occupied with traveling and working lately that I have had little time for cooking or blogging. This is not-so-good because my time in California is limited and I have a lot of seafood left to make! Tonight I got back on track with some poached fish dumplings (Mmmm...). The house is pretty quiet this evening. Typically my special gentleman and I live with one other friend, Josh, but for the last five weeks another friend, John, was living with us too. And on and off there were other houseguests so this little house was often bustling. It was super fun, athough I was starting to feel like I was living in a frat house. It was when they installed the pull-up bar and started daily pull-up competitions that I really started to laugh. John left last night though, so it is just the three of us living here now and I am feeling not quite as outnumbered by men :) On the other hand, it was much easier to convince John to watch trashy TV with me than it is to convince my special gentleman, so in that sense perhaps I am more outnumbered in his abscence!

On the drive home after dropping John off at the airport last night, my special gentleman and I were discussing how much we enjoy having houseguests. I'm glad that we bought a house in Michigan with plenty of space for visitors. Hopefully when we finally get back there, lots of people will visit!

No comments: