Saturday, March 06, 2010

Tatsoi and Warm Scallop Salad with Spicy Pecan Praline (Page 158)

RECIPE #1114

  • Date: Friday, February 19, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I chose this recipe as part of the All Seafood All The Time plan. I started by making praline. I finely chopped pecans and stirred them together with some salt and cayenne. Then I cooked sugar in a small skillet until it was a deep golden caramel. I added the pecans and spooned the mixture onto a piece of foil to cool. When it was cool I finely chopped the praline. I dredged some sea scallops in a mixture of flour, salt, cumin, and cayenne, then I cooked them in a mixture of butter and olive oil. To make the dressing I whisked together lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper, then added olive oil, whisking. My special gentleman sliced an avocado. We tossed together the greens, avocado, dressing, praline, scallops, and the fat that the scallops had cooked in. Note: the recipe said that baby spinach could be used instead of tatsoi, and that is what I used, as it was much easier to find. In a word: Yum! All of the components of this salad were delicious. The praline was spicy and incredibly tasty. Next time I will chop it into larger pieces rather than finely chopping it though -- I would have liked some nice big chunks of praline in my salad! The dressing was simple with nice clean flavors. The breading on the ends of the scallops provided interesting textural contrast and had a nice, slightly spicy, flavor. The avocados completed the dish. My special gentleman and I both loved this dish. Indeed, he told me at least a half dozen times how great he thought it was. I would definitely make this one again -- and I probably will soon as my special gentleman keeps requesting it!

The recipe is here.

Back in Bloomington! I had a fun few days in Chicago, working with my friend V and hanging out with him, his wife, and his son. On Thursday I drove down to Bloomington. The night I got home I tried to motivate to unpack my suitcase, put my clothes into the drawers where they once lived. It seemed silly though to unpack just to repack so soon. The next few months contain a lot of traveling. The tentative plan between now and the end of June includes: Bloomington, Chicago, Berkeley, Las Vegas (family vacation), Berkeley, Palo Alto (conference), Berkeley, Bloomington, Banff Canada (conference), Berkeley, Connecticut (wedding), Berkeley, Japan (mathematical visit), Berkeley, Drive from California to Midwest possibly via the to-be-determined location of the Hedden family vacation, Wisconsin, Los Angeles (my brother's wedding), Bloomington, and finally... Michigan! Oh my gosh, it makes me tired just thinking about it! I may just wait until July to unpack my suitcase.

No comments: