Friday, August 10, 2012

Classic Daiquiri (Page 13)

RECIPE #16

  • Date: Saturday, June 16, 2012 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


After two weeks on the road earlier this summer, I got home and wanted to relax with a drink! My special gentleman chose this daiquiri recipe. I started by filling a cocktail shaker mostly full with ice. I added gold run, fresh lime juice, and superfine sugar and shook it vigorously. I strained the drink into martini glasses and garnished with lime slices. So far I have been very delighted with the drink recipes from The Book. This one, though, was not so good. The drink was just way too sweet. That's an unusual criticism coming from me -- I like sweet drinks. However, in this case the balance was way off. The sweetness was cloying. That's not to say I didn't drink my daiquiri. I did! But it certainly wasn't one of the better daiquiris I have had.

This recipe isn't online.

16 recipes down, 1090 to go!

I miss the old days, when people were more satisfied doing one thing at a time. Now, multi-tasking seems to be the norm. Undergraduates text during class, not-so-subtly hiding their phone under the desk. And even in conference talks, many audience members (professors and graduate students) have their laptop, or iPad, or iPhone out, and are busily doing something else while the speaker is speaking. Multi-tasking is even the norm in social interactions it seems, with people often immersed in their phone, checking email or texting, while hanging out with other friends.

I got an iPhone a little over a year ago now. My special gentleman was very worried about this purchase. He was sure that I would become one of those people who is constantly engaged with his or her phone, checking email, checking facebook, etc. I assured him that this would not happen. I think that I have done a reasonable job keeping that promise. I do love my phone, but when I am with people I put it away and I make an effort not to take it out of my purse. That is not to say that I always succeed.  I had an experience earlier this summer that made me think very seriously about my technology use. I went on vacation. In fact, I went on vacation with my special gentleman's family. My special gentleman's family is awesome, and we have been on vacation with them several times. We typically do activities of various sorts during the day, someone makes dinner in the evening, and then traditionally after dinner we sit around and either talk, or play games together (Risk, Sheepshead, Kill Dr. Lucky, Rummikub, Apples to Apples, etc). It's great! This year on vacation many of the evenings were a bit different. After eating a delicious dinner together, we would all retreat to our own technology. A typical evening situation involved some people watching TV shows on their iPads, someone watching TV on the TV, a few people reading on their Kindles, some people doing work (or not work) on their laptops, people playing games on their iPads, and almost everyone with their phone right next to them, in order to maintain ongoing conversations via text. And as far as I know, no one was unhappy. It was relaxing and pleasant. But when we left at the end of the week, I felt like I had missed out. On those evenings, I had missed out on the opportunity to talk with people that I really like. I had missed out on the opportunity to play games together and engage with one another. I had neglected my relationships with people I value in favor of playing Monsters Ate My Condo and watching bad TV. And I wished that I had done things differently.

In the couple of months since then, I have been making more of an effort to detach from my technology. I stopped playing Monsters Ate My Condo. In fact, I stopped playing all computer/iPad/iPhone games entirely. I am checking my email less often. My phone has been spending more time inside my purse. And when I am with my friends, I try to make sure I am actually with them, not periodically checking my email. Before I pick up my phone, or laptop, or iPad, I have been thinking about whether whatever I am about to do is really a valuable use of time and concentration. That reflection has been very helpful, as often the answer is no.  It's nice to have some space from my technology. I won't be giving up my phone any time soon (I would be lost without the GPS!), but it turned out that my phone and I needed a little more space from one another!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Huh. We made these this weekend, and they got high marks from us. Different strokes, I guess.