Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Green Leaf Lettuce, Pomegranate, and Almond Salad (Page 161)

RECIPE #18

  • Date: Thursday, June 21, 2012 -- 7pm
  • Location: Saugatuck, MI
  • Kitchen: Our Vacation Rental
  • Book: Gourmet Today
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Dave, Karen H, Brad, Deniz, Aylin, Dennis, and Tulin
  • Recipe Rating: B


I picked this salad because my sister-in-law Deniz LOVES pomegranates, as does my special gentleman. So it seemed like an appropriate salad to make while on vacation with my special gentleman's family. To prepare this salad I started by whisking together fresh lime juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. I added olive oil to complete the dressing. I then combined green leaf lettuce, watercress with stems discarded, and some pomegranate seeds. I tossed the greens with the dressing, then sprinkled with toasted sliced almonds and more pomegranate seeds. This salad was pretty good. The dressing had a nice refreshing citrus flavor. The pomegranates and almonds went well with the greens and paired nicely with the dressing. My only real complaint about this salad was that it was a bit dull. The ratio of greens to other ingredients was pretty high. I have nothing against dressed greens by themselves, but it's not particularly exciting. That said, the pomegranate seeds did add some good textural contrast. I hadn't thought to add pomegranate seeds to salad before, and they were a nice addition. I will keep that in mind!

The recipe is here.

18 recipes down, 1088 to go!

Today has been one of those days! Nothing particularly bad happened and I'm not in a particularly bad mood, but it was the kind of day where little things went wrong all day. So I immediately had a bad feeling when we got home from work and our big kitty didn't greet us at the door. We have two cats: Michigan and Indiana. When you walk through the door, Michigan may or may not bother to leave whatever comfortable spot he is in to come greet you. But Indiana ALWAYS comes to the door. That is, unless he find himself in one of two situations:

  1. He knows he has done something bad. 
  2. He is trapped somewhere. 
So for instance, when he dumps an entire plate of cookies on the floor in order to eat them, he doesn't come running to the door. And every so often he gets curious about the cage in the basement that our laundry shoot empties into. He can get into the cage by dropping in off the rafters and pipes hanging from the basement ceiling, but he can't get out of the cage. So he gets stuck until one of us rescues him.

So today when he didn't come running, we first looked in the kitchen for some food related disaster. Seeing none, we then looked in the laundry cage in the basement. Still nothing. Calling him yielded no results. I had a moment of panic, thinking that something terrible had happened to him. But then we heard him crying from upstairs. I ran up to the second floor to see two of his white paws sticking out from under our bedroom door. My special gentleman had accidentally shut him in our bedroom before leaving for work. Whoops! So Indiana had spent a long day in our bedroom without food, water, or a litter box. He apparently managed to not pee all day (phew!), but he did poop. And where did he poop? Right on my special gentleman's spot in bed! Apparently he knew exactly who had locked him in there. 

I feel very bad for him. It must have been scary for him being locked in there all day and not knowing when someone would let him out. I have no doubt that the two kitties spent hours laying on either side of our bedroom door swatting at each other through the space between the door and the floor, wondering why Indiana had been shut in there. 

Apparently we need to be more diligent about making sure we know where both cats are before we leave for work in the morning!

2 comments:

Karen Shaffer said...

Once upon a time my Kitty followed me into my outdoor shed unbeknownst to me, and I shut her in there. Thankfully, it was only a little while later that I was wondering where she was - we were both home and she was usually near me. I went outside and called to her...heard her faint mewing...and the light bulb turned on! I knew where she had got to and got her out...poor baby - it was all dark in there.

P.S. Love the pomegranate seed idea!

Teena said...

Yeah it is amazing how quiet they can be. My special gentleman had no idea that Indiana had followed him into our bedroom! I'm glad you found your cat quickly and that she was fine!