Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Gin Rickey (Page 9)

RECIPE #14

  • Date: Friday, June 1, 2012 -- 8pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Book: Gourmet Today
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-

It's hard to resist the Drinks section of The Book. Indeed, I feel pretty sure that is the section that will get finished off first! My special gentleman and I both enjoy gin, so this drink sounded great. I started by filling our cocktail shaker half full with ice. I added some gin and fresh lime juice and shook it for a few seconds. I strained the drink into glasses of ice, then topped it off with club soda. I squeezed the juice of a lime wedge into the drink, then dropped in the wedge. Then I gave it a quick stir and it was ready to serve! I've got nothing bad to say about this drink. It was crisp and refreshing with a perfect balance of ingredients. I used some good gin, and the drink had a great flavor. We thoroughly enjoyed these drinks, and truth be told, we have already made this recipe again!

This recipe isn't online.

14 recipes down, 1092 to go!

I love visiting California. In the 10 years since I graduated from Stanford I have been back here at least 20 times. There's lot of math happening in the San Francisco Bay Area of course, and my dearest friend lives here with her family, so I tend to jump at any opportunity for a trip. Being here for a whole month this trip has been delightful. I love living in Michigan. Indeed, I don't think I would actually want to live in Palo Alto permanently. But it does have its advantages. For one, the food in California is so good. It's hard not to be happy when you have this in front of you:


I have eaten tons of delicious food during this trip. A disproportional amount of it has been Mexican and Thai food -- two genres that aren't done particularly well near where we live. But here -- oh my gosh -- SO good!

Another highlight of this trip has been hanging out with Emilee and her family. She and Brian have two sons, Sam and Joe, and they are some of the most delightful children I have ever met. A picture of them just hanging out:


Sam has been watching some clips from the Olympics, so he was eager to show me some of his gymnastics skills:


He and I have had many athletic competitions over the past few weeks. He has challenged me in sprinting, tennis, basketball, baseball, croquet, etc. Somehow the rules are such that I seem to lose a lot. ;) It has been wonderful to be in the same place as them for a while. We have had some lovely summer evenings, drinking beer and eating yummy food from Brian's garden. Joe doesn't have any teeth, which makes it extra fun to watch him eat. That kid loves gnawing on delicious home-grown peaches!

It's hard living so far away from many of the people that we are closest to in the world. But I do feel blessed that our jobs give us the freedom and opportunities to travel. This month in California has been wonderful. We will be living in Northern California for 5 months in 2014 and I am already looking forward to it! A week and a half from now we will be in Paris visiting other dear friends on our way to a conference in Switzerland. We are indeed lucky.

No comments: