Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Grilled Salmon with Lime Butter Sauce (Page 512)

RECIPE #20

  • Date: Thursday, June 21, 2012 -- 7pm
  • Location: Saugatuck, MI
  • Kitchen: Our Vacation Rental
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Brad, Deniz, Karen H, Dave, Aylin, Dennis, and Tulin
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I was looking for something quick and summery to make for dinner when we were on vacation with my special gentleman's family earlier this summer. This recipe fit the bill! I started by combining garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a blender. I added melted butter and blended some more. I then seasoned salmon fillets with salt and pepper. My special gentleman oiled the rack on a gas grill and grilled the salmon, turning once, until cooked through. I sprinkled the fillets with lime zest and topped them with the lime butter sauce. This salmon preparation was quite nice. My special gentleman was frustrated that the fillets fell apart a bit on the grill, but I thought they ended up looking fine. The salmon was flavorful and nicely cooked, and the lime complemented the fish nicely. Indeed, the combination of lime zest and lime butter sauce made the dish very bright with citrus flavor. It would have been nice if the sauce had been a little thicker so it would have adhered to the meat more. Overall this simple salmon preparation was tasty, and enjoyed by all. Here's a picture of some of us sitting around the dinner table, relaxing after a meal together:

Oh, how this picture makes me long for more summer!

The recipe is here.

20 recipes down, 1086 to go!

Today was the first day of class. So it begins again! We returned from Europe late Sunday night, after nearly 24 hours of travel. That left me with two days to fight off jetlag and get ready for the start of classes. Needless to say, two days was not enough and when I woke up this morning I was feeling far from ready! I am teaching two courses this semester: a third semester calculus course, and an honors real analysis course. I have taught Calc III before, but this analysis class is a new one for me. The students seem great but I predict that it is going to be a lot of work to teach! I am also organizing a conference this semester, teaching an undergraduate directed reading course, etc, so I think this semester is going to be a little rough. Certainly the first day was exhausting! This evening at 8:30pm I closed my eyes for a minute and woke up 90 minutes later, disoriented and groggy. Apparently I was tired.

Usually by the end of the summer I feel more or less ready for school to start again. I have to admit, this year this is not the case. I spent a huge portion of the summer on the road (Albuquerque, Chicago, Boston, Virginia, Saugatuck, California, France, Switzerland...) and in particular I have been out of town for five and a half of the last six weeks. So starting up school at this point is a little tough. I could definitely use another couple weeks of summer! But school starts when school starts. My plan for the moment is to try to power through this week, keeping my head above water as much as possible, and then spend labor day weekend getting caught up and better prepared before the semester gets into full swing.  I can't believe that summer is already over. It absolutely flew by.

No comments: