Thursday, May 16, 2013

Indian-Spiced Cauliflower and Potatoes (Page 588)

RECIPE #43
  • Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Dave, and Karen H
  • Recipe Rating: A-

My in-laws came to visit last fall, and while they were here we had a huge feast of Indian food from The Book. I love aloo gobi (Indian potatoes and cauliflower) so I was very excited to make this version. It did not disappoint! To prepare this dish I seasoned and roasted some cauliflower florets and cubes of Yukon Gold potato. In the meantime I cooked onion, garlic, jalapeno, and ginger, then added cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, and salt. I added the roasted vegetables to the onion mixture and cooked it some more. The result was delicious! The potatoes and cauliflower were perfectly cooked and the spiced onion mixture added a great flavor to the dish. We had lots of dishes with this particular meal, and this is the one I found myself going back to for more and more servings. It was really tasty!

The recipe is here.

43 recipes down, 1063 to go!

Early in April my wonderful friends Emilee, Helen, and Rachel threw me and the twins a baby shower.  It took me and my special gentleman a long time to get pregnant, with a lot of setbacks along the way. During those years struggling with infertility, baby showers seemed like a symbol of something that we would never have. While I generally didn't find it difficult to hang out with our friends with kids, I did find going to baby showers to be a difficult thing. I can't really explain why.

So having my friends throw a baby shower for me made the pregnancy and the fact that we are really going to have children seem all the more real. It meant a lot to me in a way that is hard to put into words.

Emilee lives in California, so she flew all the way to Michigan with her two sons (Sam and Joe) for the shower weekend. It was completely wonderful to see them, as always. Sam really hit it off with Helen's daughter Clara, which made for a lot of cuteness throughout the weekend. Here they are running around outside Helen's house:


My mother, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law Deniz also came to town for the shower, which was wonderful. Here's a picture of my mom at the shower:


The shower was at Helen's house. She and Emilee did a ton of cooking: Ham, several amazing salads, cheese biscuits, cauliflower quiche, bacon quiche, chocolate cake, gingerbread cake, etc. They are both fantastic cooks and everything was delicious. Here's a picture of the spread (minus the desserts):


And a picture of me, eagerly digging in to the delicious food:


It was great to have so many women that I care about gathered in one place. We ate, played games, and talked. It was perfect. Here's a picture of some of the guests: (left to right) Karen (my mother-in-law), Deniz (my sister-in-law), Elise, Amy, and Becky:


And one of me, talking with Georgina and drinking some punch: [NOTE: when I looked at this picture just now I thought to myself, "Wow, I am standing up!" These days I can't stand for long, but apparently 6 weeks ago I could still stand!]


 A cute picture of Kendra with baby Jamie:


And one of Helen and Kendra with their babies Gretchen and Jamie, and Em's son Sam entertaining the babies: 


As I noted, Sam and Clara had a great time playing together throughout the weekend. Here's a picture of them at the shower, keeping each other entertained: 


And a picture of my mother and my mother-in-law, blindfolded for a shower game, along with Emilee and her son Joe:


It was a really beautiful party and it meant so much to me. At many points throughout this pregnancy I have found myself overwhelmed by the amazing support and generosity of our friends. I was very touched by the beautiful shower that Helen, Em, and Rachel put together, and all of the friends and family who came to it.

No comments: