Monday, January 04, 2010

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya (Page 369)

RECIPE #1073

  • Date: Saturday, December 19, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Dining Companions: Matty and Phil O.
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I made this jambalaya for dinner one night when Phil was visiting a few weeks ago. I started by browning some chicken parts in oil. Then I removed the chicken from the skillet and browned slices of andouille sausage in the rendered chicken fat. Then I removed the sausage from the skillet and cooked onion, celery, and green pepper in the rendered sausage/chicken fat. I added garlic and cooked a bit longer. Then I added chicken stock, cooked it briefly, and transferred the mixture to a pot. I put the chicken, some water, canned tomatoes, cayenne, and more stock in the pot. I simmered it until the chicken was cooked through. I removed the chicken from the pot, added rice, arranged the chicken on top of the rice, and put it in the oven, covered. I baked until the rice was cooked. Then I stirred in scallion greens, the sausage, and salt. This jambalaya was delicious! The chicken was falling-off-the-bone tender and tremendously flavorful. The rice also had a great flavor to it. The approach of the recipe -- building flavors by cooking the ingredients in the fat from the previous ingredients -- really paid off. There was great depth of flavor. The sausage added wonderful textural and flavor contrast. This was a very solid dish, and it was wonderful reheated the next day (which was good because it made a ton!). My only complaint was that the skin never got removed from the chicken. Chicken skin is delicious if it is crispy, but since the chicken got boiled, whatever crispiness the skin may have had from browning it was long gone. So there were these soggy pieces of skin in the dish which were unappealing. Aside from that, though, it was delicious and I would certainly make it again.

The recipe is here.

Hello from Amarillo, Texas! Leg number two of our trip out to California went smoothly. We started this morning from Lebanon, Missouri and drove about 600 miles to Amarillo. I was determined to keep driving until we found some warmer weather, and we did! When we left the hotel this morning it was a frigid 7 degrees, but somewhere in Oklahoma we hit 32 and by the time we got to Texas is was a balmy 41 degrees. Practically tropical! I had never been in the state of Oklahoma before today, or the state of Texas (other than in the airports), so it was pretty exciting! Texas in particular was extremely flat and unpopulated along the road. My special gentleman kept saying, "I love Texas." It was tremendously peaceful. When we arrived in Amarillo though, we felt like we were truly getting the Texas experience. We were greeted by a gas station named the "Jesus Christ is Lord Travel Center," and a huge steak house with flashing lights and ginormous billboards advertising that if you could eat a 72 ounce steak in an hour it was free. Ah, Texas. Instead of attempting the 72 ounce steak, we opted for some barbeque for dinner -- the restaurant we got it from had a signed picture of Bush on the wall. Now that we are stuffed full of ribs, pork, Texas toast, onion rings, baked beans, potato salad, and cole slaw, we are relaxing before another day on the road tomorrow.

No comments: