Friday, January 01, 2010

Tuna Nicoise Sandwiches (Page 186)

RECIPE #1070

  • Date: Thursday, December 17, 2009 -- 6pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


My special gentleman and I had these sandwiches a few weeks back. I started by combining thinly sliced white and red onions, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper and squeezing them with my hands for about 5 minutes. Then I added canned tuna in olive oil, lemon juice, more red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. I split two rolls in half and put some lettuce and tomato on each roll. I topped it with some tuna and some hard-boiled egg. I laid anchovy fillets on top of the egg, and sprinkled some olives, scallion greens, and sliced radish over the top. I drizzled more olive oil on the sandwiches then put the other halves of the rolls on top. These sandwiches were quite tasty, but nearly impossible to eat. With every bite the contents of the sandwich would tumble onto the plate. With the assistance of a fork and knife it was definitely possible to enjoy them though. I thought the balance of ingredients was a little off -- for instance, there was too much tomato in proportion to the other ingredients. But the tuna mixture was super delicious, and I loved the combination of tuna, onions, and egg. I wouldn't necessarily serve these sandwiches to company, but I definitely enjoyed eating them myself!

The recipe is here.

Happy New Year! We had a fun New Year's Eve with my special gentleman's family -- we cooked up a big dinner, drank a lot, and played games! Now it is the new year and time for some resolutions!
  • Be a good homeowner and neighbor -- My special gentleman and I definitely have a lot to learn about owning a home (lawn care, for instance, is a complete mystery to me!). In this coming year I plan to learn what I can about maintaining our home and property.
  • Eat more fruits and vegetables -- I say this every year, but it is good to remind myself to make more of an effort.
  • Eat less processed food -- I was so busy these past 4 or 5 months that I ate more ramen and boxed mac and cheese than I would care to admit. In the new year I am going to try to cut back.
  • Finish the Gourmet Project! -- I am aiming to finish this project in the year 2010!
  • Run five 8-minute miles -- I set this goal several years ago but then became distracted by my half-marathon and then marathon training. Now I know I can run long, long distances, but I am slow! I would like to be able to run five consecutive 8-minute miles!
  • Do 20 consecutive real push-ups -- This was a suggestion from my sister-in-law Deniz. I have always hated push-ups, and I am so weak that I usually do them with my knees on the ground. But I am going to attempt some real, no knees on the ground, push-ups. Deniz tells me that they won't be so awful if I learn to do them right. We shall see!
  • Get a lot of research done in my semester of not teaching -- I am not teaching between now and September, so I am aiming to get a lot of research done!
  • Bring a lot of energy to my new job in the fall -- I am excited to start my new job and I would like to kick it off with a lot of commitment and energy.
  • Be a good wife and friend -- Always an important goal to keep in mind!
  • Put effort into meeting people and making friends in East Lansing.
That seems like plenty! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be useful for your push up goal http://hundredpushups.com/

Melissa Bach Palladino said...

Good luck with the push-ups! Black belt candidates have to do "real" push ups too, so this is also on my list of things to do.

And Happy 2010! Something I would really like would be if you're coming back East this year, for the three of us to connect in real life--to cook preferably but even just to have a meal or coffee together!

Teena said...

Anon: Thanks for the link!

Melissa: That would be so fun! At this point I don't have any trips planned to the Boston area, but I may make a trip out there. I will definitely let you know!