Thursday, December 31, 2009

Stollen (Page 616)

RECIPE #1069

  • Date: Friday, December 18, 2009 -- 4pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Phil O, and Teri
  • Recipe Rating: B+


This bread is traditionally served in the Christmas season, so I made it a couple weeks ago when Phil was visiting. I started by stirring together glaceed cherries, other mixed glaceed fruits, raisins, currants, and dark rum. I let this mixture sit for a couple hours. Then I proofed some yeast in warm milk and sugar. I added some flour and let the sponge rise for 45 minutes. Then I added more flour, salt, melted butter, eggs, and sugar and beat it until incorporated. I added the fruit mixture and sliced almonds (which had been toasted and chopped) and kneaded it in a mixer. Then I let the dough rise until doubled. I shaped the loaf, brushing with butter, then put it on a buttered baking sheet. I let it rise until it doubled again. I brushed the stollen with melted butter and baked it until deep golden. After it cooled I dusted it with powdered sugar. This stollen was pretty tasty. The bread had an excellent texture. The crumb was very tender and the dough had a wonderful richness to it. The crust was thick and buttery. I was surprised by the fact that I actually enjoyed having the candied fruit in the loaf. My one complaint was that there was too much dark rum. The flavor of the rum overpowered the flavor of the fruit and almonds. Aside from that, this bread was very tasty. The recipe made a lot of bread -- although it doesn't look that way in the picture, this loaf was HUGE! We ate it many days in a row for breakfast, toasted and spread with some butter. It was quite tasty.

This recipe isn't online.

Yay! I have finished another section of The Book! This recipe was the last one I had left in the Breads and Crackers sections. In no particular order, my top five recipes from the section:
  • Currant Tea Scones -- Absolutely fabulous scones with a subtle tea flavor and a wonderful crunchy sugar topping!
  • Naan -- This recipe for Indian flatbread was so delicious that most of it never made it to the dinner table -- my mother and special gentleman ate half the batch directly out of the oven. Yum!
  • Buttery Croissants -- My special gentleman's idea of paradise includes eating these croissants fresh out of the oven every morning. They were buttery, light, and flaky -- croissant perfection!
  • Sopaipillas --It's hard to go wrong with deep-frying, and this recipe for deep-fried dough did not disappoint. These sopaipillas were incredibly delicious drizzed with honey!
  • Raisin Brioche Pastries -- All of the brioche-based recipes in this section were excellent, but I think of the three this was my favorite. The brioche was beautifully complemented by the vanilla pastry cream and raisins to form a delicious breakfast pastry!
I am happy to be done with another section (3 down, 18 to go!), but I am sad to see this section go. I love both making and eating bread, and I enjoyed cooking my way through this section quite a bit! Finishing it off does make me feel like I am making some progress though! I have a couple more sections that each only have one recipe left, so hopefully I will be finishing those off very soon too!

This is my last post of 2009! Happy New Year!

No comments: