Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Raisin Brioche Pastries (Page 619)

RECIPE #1067

  • Date: Sunday, December 6, 2009 -- 1pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike, Corbett, Mary, and Rich
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I made this recipe a few weeks back when Mike came to visit and we had Corbett, Mary, and Rich over for brunch. I started by making the brioche dough, which I blogged about a previous time that I made it. Then I soaked some raisins in boiling water until soft. These pastries were filled with vanilla pastry cream and raisins. To make the pastry cream I started by simmering milk. In a bowl I whisked together egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch, then I whisked in the hot milk. I cooked the mixture gently on the stovetop until it boiled, then continued to cook until it thickened. I stirred in some vanilla and butter and covered the surface with waxed paper. I let the cream cool to room temperature. Once the pastry cream was cool I rolled out the brioche dough into a big rectangle. I spread the pastry cream over the dough and sprinkled the raisins over it. Then I rolled up the dough and transfered the dough log to the refrigerator for an hour. I then cut the log into pieces, and put the slices on a buttered baking sheet. I let them rise for about an hour. Then I baked the pastries until golden brown. When they came out of the oven I brushed the pastries with apricot preserves, which I had diluted with a bit of water and warmed on the stovetop to thin. In a word: yum! These pastries were beautiful and super tasty. The pastry cream had a lovely vanilla flavor to it -- I would have liked even more of the delicious cream in each roll. I wasn't sure I would like the raisins in it, but they provided nice bursts of sweetness and some textural contrast. The brioche dough was rich and tender. These were lovely pastries -- perfect for a Sunday brunch!

The recipe is here.

My father-in-law asked me yesterday (while I was making dinner) whether I ever feel like I am a slave to The Book. It's an interesting question. On the one hand, I will be happy when this project is over. I have invested a lot in it and I am definitely looking forward to checking off that last recipe! On the other hand, I think I will miss it. I have been at this for just about 4 years now, and it has become a part of my everyday life. My special gentleman and I have grown accustomed to eating different foods almost every day, and I have certainly become accustomed to cooking new things.

I am hoping to finish up this project sometime in the year 2010. I have only about 220 recipes left to go. I have a feeling this last year of the project is going to be the most difficult. Many of the recipes I have left to make have strange ingredients, or equipment, or require a lot of advance planning. But I am working through them one recipe at a time, with the end in sight! And I hope that a year from now, as the year 2010 draws to a close, this project will be done. And every night I will cook whatever I want for dinner! My special gentleman predicts that will mean Cream of Wheat for dinner every night for at least a few months. Only time will tell...

No comments: