Sunday, December 27, 2009

Ultimate Quiche (Page 654)

RECIPE #1065

  • Date: Sunday, December 6, 2009 -- 1pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike, Corbett, Mary, and Rich
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I made this quiche a few weeks back when Mike was visiting and we had Corbett, Mary, and Rich over for brunch. I started by preheating the oven with a baking sheet inside. I then chopped some bacon and cooked it until crispy. I rolled out some puff pastry and fit it into a pie dish. I then whisked eggs with creme fraiche, salt, and nutmeg. Then I poured the egg mixture through a sieve into the puff pastry crust. I sprinkled the bacon over the egg mixture, then I sprinkled grated Gruyere on top. I baked the quiche on the heated baking sheet until the center was set. This quiche was ridiculously unhealthy, but delicious! Between the 3/4 pound of bacon, 20 ounces of creme fraiche, puff pastry crust, and cup of Gruyere (not to mention 6 eggs), this quiche had quite a few calories in it. Out of curiousity we entered the ingredient list into Wolfram Alpha (which can compute nutritional information) and the results were obscene! Each piece of this quiche had 61 grams of fat and 730 calories! Ahh! The strange thing was, despite the insane amount of fat and calories, this quiche tasted very light. My special gentleman commented it was "like eating a bacon and egg flavored cloud." It really did have a great texture to it. And the flavor was wonderful -- it was eggy without being too eggy, and there was just the right amount of bacon and cheese. The puff pastry crust was also delicious, making for a very tasty quiche. This certainly wouldn't be a good recipe to make every day (that would be a fast track to a heat attack!) but for a special occasion this is a very tasty quiche!

This recipe isn't online.

What a lovely Christmas! My special gentleman and I had Christmas at my grandpa's house and we had such a great time! We spent all day Christmas Eve and all day on Christmas with my extended family, hanging out at my grandpa's house. There was a lot of card-playing -- at least 10 hours of Sheepshead each day! My mom, my cousin Anne, my aunt Marie, and I didn't play cards, but rather cooked up a big meal (which actually turned out to be enough food for several meals!). We had beef tips, Columbian chicken stew, mashed potatoes, baked beans, rolls, a green salad, chicken soup, chocolate cake with chocolate peanut butter frosting, etc... In keeping with midwestern tradition, we even made a "salad" with lime jello as a primary ingredient. The ingredients: lime jello, cottage cheese, canned pineapple, and Cool Whip. Interesting, no? In the end it tasted ok, but it looked so foul while we were making it that we were laughing so hard we were crying. In case you're wanting to recreate this midwestern specialty, here's a play by play. Step one: Mix cottage cheese with powdered lime jello:

At that point, it definitely did not look like something you would want to eat. It only looked worse after the next step: mix in canned pineapple:

The final step, folding in the Cool Whip, improved the appearance of the dish:

In the end it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. My cousin Anne rejected it outright, but my grandpa ate multiple servings! It definitely added a certain flair to the meal!

After a wonderful family Christmas, we got up early on the 26th to drive the nine and a half hours between my family and my special gentleman's. We arrived at his parents' house just in time for one of their extended family Christmas celebrations! So we ate another wonderful (and huge!) Christmas meal with family.

Today we are just relaxing, playing with Brad and Deniz's puppies, and hanging out. A lovely end to the holiday weekend!

5 comments:

Brian said...

My MIL makes a "salad" that's basically identical, and I totally love it. I admit.

Brian said...

Wait! It's Emilee, not Brian. Didn't realize he was logged in ...

Teena said...

Haha! So apparently it isn't just a midwestern delicacy!

mike hill said...

Wait a second. A-??? This was amazing! It easily gets an A. I had like 8 servings!

Teena said...

Mike -- it was good, I agree, but not good enough for the A!