Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Deviled Beef Ribs (Page 415)

RECIPE #1068

  • Date: Thursday, December 17, 2009 -- 12pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

This recipe called for cooked meaty rib bones leftover from a standing rib roast. We had a rib roast a few weeks back with my special gentleman's family, and I froze the bones so we could use them in this recipe. We made a mixture of heavy cream, dry mustard, and Parmesan. Then I stirred together dry bread crumbs, parsley, salt, and pepper. We spread the mustard paste on the bones, then rolled them in the bread crumb mixture. Then we put them on a baking sheet, drizzled them with butter, and broiled them until golden. These ribs were pretty tasty, but very difficult to eat. It was exhausting trying to find the meat, especially because everything was masked by the bread crumb topping. So it was difficult to distinguish chunks of meat from chunks of fat without getting through the crumb coating first. There was also a lot of coating for how much meat there was. That might have been fine except that the coating had a very intense mustard flavor, which almost drowned out the delicious flavor of the beef. All that said, these ribs did taste good, and although they were a lot of work to eat, we enjoyed eating them. My special gentleman pointed out though that it would have been just as good (or better!) to simply reheat those meaty bones without any of the toppings. He may be right about that.

This recipe isn't online.

Ugh. When it comes to making recipes from The Book, I tend to enjoy the cooking quite a bit and the grocery shopping not nearly as much. Many of the recipes I have left require somewhat obscure ingredients, which often means making multiple grocery stops. Today was a personal record though. I am in Ohio at my special gentleman's parents' house and I was attempting to buy ingredients for dinner tonight and a couple dishes for tomorrow. I ended up going to EIGHT grocery stores. EIGHT! In order:

1. Whole Foods -- There I picked up most of the food I needed. They came up short on Pernod, tamarind concentrate, and instant espresso powder.

2. An Asian Grocery Store -- Attempting to find the tamarind, but no such luck.

3. Meijer -- Attempting to find the espresso powder, but no such luck. Picked up some staples that I opted not to get at Whole Foods though since they are cheaper at Meijer.

4. Liquor Store -- Found the Pernod!

5. Indian Grocery Store -- Walked in to find them boxing up everything on the shelves. Apparently they were going out of business. So no luck on the tamarind.

6. Another Indian Grocery Store -- Succeeded at finding the tamarind.

7. European specialty store -- Succeeded at finding the instant espresso powder.

These seven stops took quite a long time. Columbus is a big city and I was driving all over. Having checked everything off my list I triumphantly headed back to the house to start cooking. Only halfway through the dessert recipe did I realize that the dessert I picked contained raw egg whites. I feel ok about eating raw eggs myself, but I don't feel so good about serving them to others -- especially my in-laws. So I decided to head back out the store for trip number eight.

8. Giant Eagle -- Bought pasteurized egg whites.

Whew! I was already exhausted by the time I even starting any serious cooking for dinner! Sometimes this project is just crazy!

2 comments:

Bette said...

Giant Eagle has the pasteurized in the shell eggs (Davidson's brand). That liquid crap is gross.

Teena said...

Thanks for the tip! I didn't even think to look for eggs that were pasteurized still in the shell!