Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Herbed Rib Roast (Page 412)

RECIPE #1052

  • Date: Saturday, November 21, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Dining Companion: Dave, Karen H, Deniz, Brad, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I made this standing rib roast as the main course when my in-laws came to visit a couple weeks ago. This recipe was super easy, and quite delicious. I started by trimming most of the fat off my roast. Then I ground black peppercorns, bay leaves, and salt in a spice grinder. I minced and mashed that together with garlic cloves, fresh thyme, and fresh rosemary to form a paste, then I stirred in some olive oil. I rubbed the paste all over the roast then let it marinate in the refrigerator overnight. The next day the refrigerator stunk of garlic and my roast was ready. I let it sit at room temperature for an hour, then I put it on a rack in a roasting pan, in a 450 degree oven. Twenty minutes into the cooking I turned the oven down to 350, and I roasted until the meat reached 110 degrees. I let it rest for 25 minutes, and meanwhile, made the jus. I deglazed the roasting pan with beef stock, and added rosemary, thyme, and garlic. I transfered the jus to a small saucepan and simmered to the desired consistency. Then I seasoned with salt and pepper. In a word: Yum! Standing rib roast is always good, but this was especially tasty. The herb rub gave the meat a ton of flavor, and those flavors were enhanced by the jus. The herbs and garlic were nicely balanced -- the individual flavors each came through clearly and no one flavor stole the show. The meat was also perfectly cooked. If you are looking for a simple beef preparation that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser, this is a great recipe to try!

The recipe is here.

Almost four years ago now, when I started this crazy project of mine, the term "cook-through blogging" was one that no one had ever heard. There were a few people out there doing similar projects, but no one was tackling a book with more than 1000 recipes in it. I thought, perhaps, I was the only crazy person out there! But a little over a year after I began tackling The Book, independently a blogger in Canada had the same idea. Kevin has gotten through a little over 200 recipes from The Gourmet Cookbook in his version of the Gourmet Project. Later that year, Melissa also had the same idea, and started her blog, Melissa Cooks Gourmet. So then there were three. Cook-through blogging still didn't seem too trendy though. But then the Wall Street Journal wrote an article about it, mentioning all of us Gourmet Cookbook bloggers. That's when the craze took off. We got a fourth member of the Gourmet Cookbook club when Adam started his blog, Gourmet, all the way. He started in 2008, and is already more than 200 recipes into the project. Many other people started cook-through blogs about other cookbooks, and one person even started Cooking the Books, a blog devoted to cook-through blogs. She has 30 on her list, not including some which are inactive lately. A couple people are tackling the new Gourmet cookbook, Gourmet Today, in their blogs: It's Gourmet Today and BGB Challenge. It also has more than 1000 recipes, so they are in for a long ride!

With the closing of Gourmet magazine, a new Gourmet-related project has emerged: Gourmet, unbound. This project suggests that participants post on their blogs a recipe from a back issue of Gourmet magazine on the first of each month. For instance, today, on December 1st, participants will post a recipe from a December issue of Gourmet, from any year. It sounds like such fun! It's also easy for us Gourmet Cookbook bloggers because everything in The Book comes from some back issue of Gourmet. This is my first contribution to Gourmet, unbound. This Herbed Rib Roast is from the December 2000 issue of Gourmet.

Just as the cook-through blogging trend is catching on, I am nearing the end of my project. With more than 1050 recipes behind me I have less than 250 to go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Teena,

As a long-time reader (but first time commenter), I hope that you decide to continue on with this blog after you've completed your project! Your "voice" would be missed.

Ann-Marie

Teena said...

Awwww... thanks!