- Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 -- 9pm
- Location: Bloomington, IN
- Kitchen: My Apartment
- Dining Companions: Matty, Teri, and Terry
- Recipe Rating: A-
When I dug some of this braised veal out of the freezer a few days ago I realized that I forgot to blog about it! Whoops! I made this veal a few weeks back. I started by stirring together some canned tomatoes and basil and letting it sit for a half hour. Then I cooked onions in butter and oil. Once the onions were soft I added the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and simmered. Meanwhile, I browned a veal shoulder roast in oil. Then I added the veal to the tomato sauce. I deglazed the veal skillet with red wine and added that and bay leaf to the pot. I brought the braising liquid to a simmer then put the pot in the oven for a couple hours. This veal was excellent. It was falling apart tender and the tomato sauce had a great flavor. I served it tossed with pasta and it was absolutely delicious! This wasn't a fancy dish, but I would certainly make it again -- it was quick to throw together and made a perfect hearty winter meal!
This recipe isn't online.
As the year draws to a close, I am thinking about resolutions for the new year. It's also time to check in on this past year's resolutions and see how I did! So here they are:
- Run a marathon -- This one I did! I ran my first marathon at the beginning of November!
- Have fun planning our wedding -- I did this one too! I had a lot of fun planning our wedding without getting too stressed out. And I was very happy with how it all turned out!
- Get a tenure-track job -- Mission accomplished! I have accepted a tenure-track job which I will start in August.
- Keep in better phone contact with my friends -- On this one I didn't do quite so well...
- Appreciate the many blessings in my life -- This one was easy. I have definitely been feeling very blessed this year! Between getting married, getting a job in the same place as my husband, and buying a house, this has been an eventful year full of blessings!
- Eat more fruits and vegetables -- I did well at this for about a month, but I have long since abandoned my good intentions. I'll try this one again next year!
- Keep my mathematical life better organized -- I meant to clean and organize my offices both at work and at home, but with moving my home office only got less organized. Soon I will really get organized!
- Be a good friend -- I hope I did well at this!
- Make 350 recipes from The Book -- I failed very badly at this one. I only made about 175 recipes from The Book this year. It was a crazy year, and at various points cooking from The Book had to take the back burner.