Monday, December 07, 2009

Quiche Lorraine (Page 654)

RECIPE #1054

  • Date: Sunday, November 22, 2009 -- 10am
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Dining Companions: Brad, Deniz, Karen H, Dave, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

I made this quiche for breakfast when my in-laws visited a couple weeks ago. I started by making a pastry crust. I rolled it out and fit it into a pie plate. Then I pricked it with a fork in several places and refrigerated for 30 minutes. Then I blind-baked the pie shell, lined with foil and filled with raw rice. After 20 minutes I removed the foil and rice and continued to bake until the shell was golden. Meanwhile, I chopped and cooked some bacon. Then I mixed together eggs, egg yolks, heavy cream, milk, salt, and nutmeg. I poured this mixture into the pie shell and sprinkled with the cooked bacon. I then baked the quiche until it was browned and set. This quiche was ok, but really, why make quiche without cheese in it? That was my major complaint -- it needed cheese. My other complaint was that with the huge amount of heavy cream that went into it (2 cups), it had more the taste of an egg-flavored whipped cream than a quiche. The crust was nice and the texture of the filling was very light and fluffy. The flavor of the filling just didn't do it for me though -- it was too creamy and bland. The quiche certainly wasn't bad, but I wouldn't make it again. There are better quiches out there. In fact, there is a better quiche in The Book which I made for brunch yesterday. I'll post about that one soon...

This recipe isn't online.

It's the last week of class! My to-do list for this week is insanely long, but a week from right now, my semester will be done! I was nervous about this semester -- having 330 students and all -- but so far things have gone very smoothly and now the end is in sight! I am not teaching next semester and I am leaving Indiana University at the end of the academic year, so this is actually my last semester teaching at Indiana. It makes me a little sad. I have really enjoyed teaching at IU, and I feel like I just hit my stride. But I am also excited about 8 months without teaching. It will be great to be able to focus on my research. And I am already looking forward to starting my new job in Michigan in August! What a crazy time...

For now though, I have a week filled with lectures, and review sessions, and many, many office hours. Next Monday my students will take their final exam and I want to help them be as prepared as possible. And at the end of this week, when I take off my microphone and step off of the stage in the lecture hall, it may be the last time for quite a while that I teach a course with several hundred students in it!

2 comments:

Liz Tee said...

Con-GRAT-u-LATIONS about stepping into the next phase of your life!

Teena said...

Thanks!!