Saturday, September 16, 2006

Basic Pastry Dough (Page 790)

  • Date: Saturday, September 9, 2006 - 6pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: A-

This was the crust for the pecan tart disaster last weekend. It's a bit hard to grade it since the pecan tart never really became a reality. But I did bake off the crust and try it. And it was quite good. It was fairly easy to work with and it came out flaky and tender with a good flavor. I didn't think it was significantly different from an all-butter crust in taste or texture, but I like all-butter crusts, so that's not a bad thing! Overall this is a good crust recipe which would be lovely with a nice pecan caramel filling ;)

I think I am a bad person. I just didn't do a good job of treating other people well this week. Especially the last two days. Really, I treated one person spectacularly badly. In general I try to filter my actions towards other people through the filter of "How would I feel if someone treated me this way?" I failed to filter yesterday though. And I have spent all day today trying not to think about how I would feel. Whoops. Here's the part that makes me think that I am a bad person though and not just someone who makes a few mistakes: the people I treat the worst are always the people I care about the most. Why do I do that??? I feel bad today. Guilty. Embarassed. Just bad. I think I am suffering from a severe emotional hangover. Emotional hangovers are worse than alcohol hangovers. I have tried a variety of thing to relieve my symptoms. One of them was frosting, which was a mistake. But I was doing my homework for my cake decorating class tomorrow and there was just so much frosting! The one thing that did help is this Garth Brooks song about 2 pina coladas. I developed a special pina colada dance one day when I was trying to make a friend of mine smile. Now I do the dance whenever the song comes on, even if I'm alone. It's hard to feel too bad while doing the pina colada dance.

No comments: