Monday, September 18, 2006

Katharine Hepburn's Brownies (Page 688)

  • Date: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Alex
  • Dining Companions: Jessie, Matt H
  • Recipe Rating: A-

Alex and I made these brownies last week because the grocery store was out of rhubarb. Yes, the logic is a little unclear. We had planned to make a dessert with rhubarb, but we couldn't so we made these because I had the ingredients in my pantry. These brownies were good. They were very fudgy, which is how I like them, and the chocolate flavor was quite nice. My only complaint is that the amount of optional walnuts that the recipe suggests is too much. There were so many walnuts that it affected the structural integrity of the brownies! Despite their structural problems, these brownies were very tasty though.

My senior year in college, when I was applying to graduate school, my friend and I agreed one weekend that we would each write a draft of our personal statement for the applications. On Monday morning we met in the math department at Stanford and he said, "I finished mine! Want to read it?" Of course I did. He handed me a piece of paper and all it said was "Personal Statement: Fuck this math shit." That was all he could think to write. He ended up not applying to graduate school that year. Today, as I was editing my Project Description for my NSF fellowship application, I kept thinking about that. It's strange how discouraging writing applications can be. Chris sent me email today pointing out that everything that really matters in terms of getting a job is already in the past, and we just obsess about the applications themselves to make ourselves feel like there is something we can do. He's right, but the applications can still be so damn discouraging...

On a lighter note, here's a picture of my cake from my decorating class last night. I'll continue to post them and y'all can judge if I make any progress!

4 comments:

ana rita said...

mm, brownies, and I was not close by...

Teena said...

In the future I will remember to notify you whenever there is chocolate! Especially since you and I discovered yesterday that I am running low on chcolate recipes!

vero said...

We just made this one.

After your complaint about the amount of walnuts, we halved that quantity. The brownies were still unsound structurally. It seems like the problem is elsewhere.

However, they are very tasty!

site said...

Surely, the dude is absolutely fair.