Saturday, September 23, 2006

Broccoli, Red Pepper, and Cheddar Chowder (Page 115)

  • Date: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Matt H and Marco
  • Dining Companions: Craig, Ana, and Peter
  • Recipe Rating: C+

Ana and I picked this soup to go with dinner on Wednesday because it was a relatively quick recipe that sounded tasty. It wasn't great though. The flavor was ok, but there was way too much cream in it, which really detracted from the good vegetable soup flavors. The cheese was also a little overpowering. Peter suggested it would have been better to have less cheese, but of a sharper variety. I think he's right that that would be an improvement. As it was, this soup was a little hard to eat, and although a couple people liked it fine, no one was eager to have seconds. I don't recommend it.

Last night Veronique and Philippe had a few people over for dinner, which was really fun. It was mostly people who have known one another quite a while, and we were all pretty hard on one another. I don't think I have been made fun of that much since Mike moved away! Even Soren (who is usually so nice!) launched in on me about national parks and Las Vegas (long story...). My favorite line of the night, from Philippe, about Jacob, "He may be good at math, but he's not so smart." Harsh! As I recall, Jacob deserved it though...

Mike is in town, so he and I are heading to Bluefin soon with Marco for dinner. Mmmmm..... Bluefin!

I am presently doing my homework for my cake decorating class tomorrow. Yay for more cake! I haven't made the 3 different consistencies of frosting yet. Maybe I will do that in the morning. I think last week I ate too much frosting. I had a little thing of leftover frosting in the fridge that I was dipping various foods in. I realized I had crossed the line one morning when I put some frosting on my breakfast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How was Bluefin? What did you get?

Mike Hill said...

Bluefin was good, but I was saddened to see that they have raised their prices while [slightly] lowering their quality. The sushi was still delicious, but the deals weren't as sweet.

Of course, the company was fantastic. Overall, I'd give the food a B / B+ and the company an A+, giving the meal as a whole an A / A-.