Thursday, September 28, 2006

Tomato Chutney (Page 905)

  • Date: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matt H
  • Dining Companions: Ana, Peter, and Glen
  • Recipe Rating: B-

The crew came over to make dinner last night. I picked this recipe because the "Relishes, Chutneys, Pickles, and Preserves" section is now my slowest section. This chutney was odd. No one loved it, but no one really hated it either. The main complaint was about the spiciness. Ana thought it was too spicy and several other people thought it was spicy in a not-so-good kind of way. Matt pointed out that it didn't really match very well with the rest of our meal, and perhaps with better pairings we would have appreciated it more. It was better than I expected actually. I was skeptical when I read the ingredients list, and it certainly did have an unusual combination of flavors, but it wasn't bad. I wouldn't make it again, but eating it was an interesting experience.

Everyone has their own end-of-relationship rituals. A friend of mine recently described giving up on a crush as "setting yourself free." Another woman I know would take all the mementos from the guy she was splitting up with, put them in a box, and wrap it with wrapping paper and bows. Then she would put it under her bed, never to be opened. I buy music. When I know that a relationship or serious interest isn't going to work out, I buy whatever music reminds me most of the guy. It's a nice way to store memories.

I had a moment of clarity today and realized that really wanting something to work isn't enough to make it work. Then I bought his music. I don't feel particularly free. And I certainly don't feel like getting out the wrapping paper and bows. I just feel like sitting in the dark for a little while, listening to my new music...

4 comments:

ana rita said...

we'll eat chocolate and that can only make it better

Anonymous said...

What music did you get?

Teena said...

Gordon Lightfoot.

Anonymous said...

Gordon Lightfoot is a completely under-rated singer/songwriter. That's awesome.