Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Creme Citron (Page 840)

  • Date: Wednesday, September 6, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Alex
  • Dining Companion: Gunther
  • Recipe Rating: C+

Alex and I picked this recipe because I have been slacking on the "Puddings, Custards, Mousses, and Souffles." This dessert was odd, and not in a good way. The white wine flavor was incredibly strong and a little off-putting in the mousse. Alex pointed out that the wine we chose was quite flavorful. With a milder wine perhaps this would have been more palatable. Gunther just thought the dessert was overkill. He would have equally enjoyed eating the raspberries with a simple vanilla cream. I thought the recipe had a lot of potential but didn't deliver. I would have vastly preferred if the mousse had been flavored with a small amount of some nice liqueur rather than the large quantity of wine.

I was at a wedding this summer and I was talking to a friend who is a physics PhD student at Stanford. She is an interesting character. She's really fun, and really... blunt. She tells things exactly the way that they are. She's married now but for some reason we were discussing her dating life from years ago. She has a theory that all guys want submissive women. So she did an experiment where whenever anyone asked her out she was just completely agreeable and very, very quiet. She says she ate dinner after dinner smiling and giggling softly, eyes cast down at her plate. And she got asked out over and over again. Eventually she grew tired of her experiment and she started dating again as herself. Now she's married, so clearly that worked out fine! But she still claims that submissive and quiet was a much more successful strategy.

I keep thinking about that conversation. I think she's not totally correct. Sure, some men look for submissive women, but some don't. It got me thinking though -- when I was younger I always worried about being a "good date" whenever I went out on dates. I tried very hard to act the way I thought women were supposed to act on dates (lots of giggling, very few opinions, etc...). And I hated dating. Now I am just myself, as much is possible in that situation. And more often than not, I have fun. It's still true though that the best first dates are always the ones that aren't really dates...

No comments: