Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti (Page 685)

  • Date: Saturday, September 2, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Ana
  • Dining Companion: Mike
  • Recipe Rating: B+
I chose this recipe because I love homemade biscotti and I hadn't made any in a while. These were pretty good. Ana and I found ourselves wishing that they were a little crunchier. I think it would have been better to do the second bake at a lower temperature (300) for a longer period of time. As it was, they were already quite browned when I took them out, but not quite dry enough. Mike's favorite thing about them was that they weren't too crunchy though, so I guess it is all a matter of preference. The pistachio-cranberry combination was nice. This recipe produces a very tasty cookie!

Yesterday was Registration Day at MIT. On reg day you meet with your advisor and he or she approves your schedule of courses. Then we have a big department meeting welcoming all the new people and a little party outside. This time of year, when there are lots of unfamiliar faces in the department, I am always curious which of these people I will get to know over the course of the year. I passed some guy in the hall on my way up to my office this morning and I wondered, will I know that guy's name in 9 months or will I still pass him in the hall and wonder what his name is? There are about 30 new graduate students and 20 new post-docs this year... that's a lot of new people! I am trying to make an effort to meet some new people in the next couple weeks. This is the easiest time of year to introduce yourself to people. In a few months you start to feel as though you really should know people's names, so it becomes embarassing to ask. But the first month of school you can ask with abandon!

After the reg day activities yesterday I went to the gym. By the time I got home around 8:30pm last night I was so exhausted that I ate dinner and went to bed at 10:15pm. I usually don't go to bed until at least midnight, so my body chose to interpret my 10:15pm sleep as a nap rather than an early bedtime. I woke up at 12:30am, nice and rested! So I didn't have the most peaceful night of sleep ever, but I feel rested today anyway, if only by virtue of having been in bed for 9 and half hours last night!

No comments: