Monday, September 04, 2006

Pesto (Page 889)

  • Date: Saturday, September 2, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Ana
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I picked this recipe for dinner on Saturday because it came from the "Sauces and Salsas" section of The Book, which is the section I am the most behind on. This pesto was pretty good. It was slightly more oily than I would have liked, but the ratio of basil to pine nuts and cheese was good. We diluted it with some pasta water, as per the instructions, and served it on campagnelle. It made a very satisfying dinner.

Mike was in town yesterday so he came to the homeless shelter with me to make lunch. In celebration of the long weekend, we had a special meal with a DJ and everything. It was really fun! Ruthie dragged me out from the kitchen to dance the Cha-Cha Slide in front of everyone in the dining room. I, of course, dragged Mike with me! He wasn't pleased! He got a lot more audience encourgement than I did though -- I guess that's what happens when you are the only man dancing in front of an audience of 70 women! He was wearing a nametag, which made it easy for people to shout "Shake it Mike!" from the audience. Mike, Ruthie, and I also performed the Macarena! In between all the dancing, we did manage to make and serve lunch. Mike and participated in the production of some seriously questionable potato salad. It wasn't bad, it just desperately needed salt. Whenever I am at Rosie's I am so torn between my desire to make the food taste good (i.e. add salt to it) and my desire to follow the kitchen rules (i.e. not add any salt to anything). I understand that a lot of the ladies have high blood pressure, and too much salt is a bad thing, but food without any salt just tastes bad!

After the homeless shelter Mike and I went to Petco (don't ask me!) where we watched a woman in the parking lot ram in to a parked car, easily doing $500 of damage, and then start to just drive away. Mike and I stood in the parking lot and stared her down, ready to write down her license plate number, until she pulled over. She sat in the parking lot for almost 10 minutes waiting for us to leave, so she could leave. I was so mad. Finally Mike waltzed up to her and offered to look inside Petco for the person whose car she hit. While Mike was disagreeing with the horrible woman about whether or not that was a good idea, the owner of the damaged car appeared. I think the horrible woman was about ready to kill me and Mike when she realized she hadn't gotten away with it. We were pleased. What a bitch.

Today is Ana Rita's birthday. Happy Birthday!!!

No comments: