Friday, September 01, 2006

Macaroni and Cheese (Page 223)

  • Date: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Daniel, Amanda, Matjaz, Ana, Matt, Travis, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: A-

Matjaz, Amanda, and Daniel had a potluck dinner at their place on Thursday, and I picked this to bring because I have been craving mac and cheese lately. It was quite good. I may be a little partial -- macaroni and cheese is definitely a favorite of mine. But other people seemed to like it too. It all got eaten. Ana even noted that it was "Better than the stuff from the box." I took that as a complement. The topping was excellent -- the panko gave it a lovely crunch. I also liked the addition of the mustard in to the sauce. It gave the dish an interesting new dimension. For a yummy comfort food dish, this would be hard to beat!

When I was 21 a friend of mine from high school came to visit me at Stanford for a week over New Year's. She has always been convinced that I am a romantic disaster. She decided on that January visit that I needed to start cataloging and learning from my mistakes. So, she opened a semi-used notebook, flipped to some clean pages, and started a list. It was titled "Boys Teena Has Kissed: An Analysis." Each entry had the name of the guy, how old I was, how many weeks or months I spent kissing this person, why it started, and why it ended. All of the entries from the first 21 years of my life are in her handwriting, with some of her commentary interspersed (under one guys name it reads "Reason for break-up: He's an ASS!"). I remember feeling mildly annoyed/patronized at the time and not quite sure that she was the best person to take romantic advice from. But, I kept the list. And every year or two, on a night that I am feeling a little nostalgic, or lonely, or something, I remember my list. So I break it out, read over the old entries, and update it. No one but me has read this list in years, but some of it is still strangely veiled. One entry is labelled Mystery Man where the name should be -- that makes me laugh every time I see it. I know his name. I'm not sure who I think I am hiding it from. Tonight I got out the list, looked it over and updated it for the first time in a long time. Now I will hide it again, before Mike comes to visit and starts digging through my drawers looking for it! He can be very curious...

3 comments:

Mike Hill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike Hill said...

Oh my dear lord. If I had had any idea that you have a list like that hidden somewhere, I would have broken your rule that Easter about not looking in drawers! I'm curious about this "Mystery Man"...

Teena said...

There's a reason you didn't know about the list when you still lived here! And just for the record, the Easter rules are ALWAYS in effect!