Saturday, September 23, 2006

Roquefort Butter (Page 895)

  • Date: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Peter
  • Dining Companions: Craig, Ana, Matt H, and Marco
  • Recipe Rating: C+

Ana and I picked this one to go with dinner on Wednesday because the "Sauces and Salsas" section is again the one I am most behind on. I think Peter said it best when he noted that this compound butter was worse than cheese and worse than butter! The general sentiment was, "Why would you do this to a good cheese?" We started with Carles Artisanal Roquefort, which is an extremely good cheese. Adding butter to it just didn't do good things for it. Ana pointed out that it was nice and spreadable! It didn't taste bad (how could it? The only ingredients were butter and cheese), but it just didn't really make much sense. It was slimy, and the cheese flavor was diluted, but still too strong for a compound butter. I would have preferred to have either just the butter, or just the cheese on my bread, which makes this compound butter a failure, in my opinion.

I think I may have to reasses my approach to the project... Originally I said I would cook almost exclusively from The Book, even for events with a lot of people, until people stopped wanting to come to my place for dinner! While that hasn't happened yet, maybe it's not exactly the right way to judge. People have started making fun of me a lot about my project. I get tons of comments about how I _used_ to be a good cook, and how pretty soon you will receive a spreadsheet at the door when you come to dinner at my place, etc... And whenever there is any food around, people make fun of me about always having to grade my food. All of this is in good fun, and it doesn't particularly hurt my feelings, but in my experience, when people tease there is usually some truth behind what they are saying. In other words, I think my project is starting to annoy my friends. The difficulty is, I don't really want to eat all this food alone. I guess I need to give it more thought. I have a handful of friends who seem to enjoy my project. I suppose I could serve the book food only to them... :( It makes me a little sad though -- I liked having almost everyone in my life be part of my project in some way. If I stop serving book food at parties that won't be true any more...

5 comments:

ana rita said...

I like to cook and eat from the book. And I don't mind grading that much either...
:)

Vigleik said...

Cooking and eating food from the book is fun. Even if it only tastes good most of the time, as opposed to all of the time if you cook your personal favorites. It's also educational. You should definitely keep going. I'm only sorry I don't get many chances to cook/eat from the book any more.

Anonymous said...

I think cooking together is great (though I'm not there as often as others). Maybe you can try one or two recipes from the book each time, along with one or two other recipes that seem intriguing or promising? I'm all for new and different things!

Mike Hill said...

I always liked the adventure of "book food". What it has really underscored for me is how much better a cook you are than the vast majority of people (as represented by me). While everything from the book has been better by far than anything I could make, we have yet to have something that I could honestly say was as good as something you'd just whip up on your own. Still, I've learned a lot about cooking from acting as a sous-chef under you, so stick with the book!

Teena said...

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement! You guys are awesome!