Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sliced Calf's Liver with Golden Onions (Page 461)

RECIPE #1061

  • Date: Saturday, December 5, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Fellow Chef: Mike
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I have known my good friend Mike since long before I started this crazy project of mine. He has eaten more than a hundred recipes that I have made from The Book. So he has had some recipes that were quite tasty (e.g. the Cranberry Caramel Bars), and some recipes which were not-so-good (e.g. the Shitake Bok Choy Soup with Noodles). Over the years he has observed that sometimes it is more fun to trash the terrible food than it is to eat the typically tasty food from The Book. Plus, he knows that I have to make them all and that I am hesitant to serve recipes that sound terrible to anyone but my closest friends. So, when Mike came to visit a couple weeks ago he requested that we make a dinner full of gross recipes from The Book. We picked a few recipes that seemed guaranteed to be bad and we composed a meal out of them. Our original plan was to make a beef tongue dish as the main course (which sounded like it might be ok, but the recipe contained the phrase, "When the tongue is cool enough to handle, peel off skin." That mental picture was enough to put the recipe on my icky list.). Unfortunately, while the butcher shop had pork tongue they were out of beef tongue, so that recipe had to wait for another day. Our back-up: this calf's liver dish. We served it with a side dish of bitter green vegetables and a dessert which contained 3 cups of beef fat. Yummy! I ate a few bites of my dinner, then pushed my food around my plate for a while before making myself some Cream of Wheat. Mike and my special gentleman did a little better, but certainly no one was stuffing themselves with this meal! Even though the food was bad it was still fun to cook and eat together!

To make this recipe I started by thinly slicing the liver and seasoning it with salt and pepper. Then I sliced some onions paper thin and Mike cooked them in butter until they were golden brown. Then I put the onions in a bowl, and cooked the liver in butter very briefly. Then the liver went on top of the onions and I deglazed the pan with water. I poured this sauce over the liver, then tossed the liver with chopped parsley. That was it! It's a bit hard to grade this recipe because neither me nor my special gentleman particularly care for liver. I found this dish quite hard to eat. It had a certain richness to it that made it actually difficult for me to consume more than a couple bites. My special gentleman had more, but the look on his face was one of dread with each bite. The only pronounced flavors were those of the liver and the onions, so if you didn't care for one of those components (e.g. the liver) there was no masking it! Mike likes liver just fine and he found this to be a perfectly good liver preparation. He wasn't raving about it, but he also didn't have anything particularly nasty to say about it. I certainly wouldn't make this dish again, but if you are a liver-lover it might be worth a try.

The recipe is here.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Long time reader, first time commenter. I'm an EL resident too, and am SO glad you've moved here! You can find beef tongue at Vallarta Market in Old Town Lansing - there's usually 3 - 4 in stock when I pop in there for fresh tortillas, queso fresco and Mexican Coke. (It's a Spartan store and they carry a lot of interesting stuff.)

I also got a beef tongue from my meat CSA (McLaughlin Farms) if you're interested in it. Drop me an email... jpowers155@gmail.com.

Teena said...

Thanks for the tip! I haven't had the chance yet to explore Old Town as much as I would like to. And I definitely haven't been to the Vallarta Market yet! I will be sure to stop over there!