Sunday, August 12, 2007

Currant Tea Scones (Page 598)

  • Date: Sunday, August 12, 2007 -- 12pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Matt, Ricky, Ana, Alex, Gunther, Wes, Glen, and Genevieve
  • Recipe Rating: A


Matty and I had a few people over for brunch this morning, and I made these scones as part of our brunch spread. They were a big hit! These scones were delicious and easy, which is a winning combination. My two usual complaints about store bought scones is that they are often dry and/or rock hard. These scones were moist and tender. The flavor of the English Breakfast tea was subtle, but present, and it gave the scones a slightly nuanced flavor. Currants in scones are always delicious, so it's no surprise that they were in this recipe too. The dough was flaky, moist, and simple to prepare. My favorite aspect of these scones though was the sugar sprinkled on top. It melted a bit in the oven, forming a wonderful layer of crunchy sweetness. Yum! These scones were delicious exactly as written, and I imagine that if you omitted the currants and tea, it would make a great base recipe for a wide variety of scones.

Here is the recipe.

I think we set a record today by cooking 9 recipes from The Book for one meal! I had six friends helping cook, which is what made it possible. Since I am going to be moving this week, I doubt I will have the time to cook, so I wanted to get a stockpile of recipes done in order to keep up with my blogging! So we made 9 recipes -- it was fun. We haven't done a big group meal in months. It was nice to be back in the kitchen with lots of people, trying to keep track of 9 recipes at once. It was hectic, and a little crowded, but everything came out really nicely.

It is definitely going to be hard for me, when I first get to Indiana, to be without my cooking crew! On the project index page (link in the sidebar), if you scroll to the bottom there is a list of the various people who have cooked/eaten with me frequently throughout this project. Although certainly there are people on that list who don't live in Boston (Emilee, Brian, Chris, my parents, Mike, Vigleik, Shihchi, Paul, Soren, etc...), most of them do. It's hard to move away and leave behind all the people who have participated in my project so willingly this past year and a half. I appreciate you all, and you are always welcome in my kitchen in Bloomington!

No comments: