Monday, August 27, 2007

Chicory Salad with Oranges and Red Onion (Page 138)

  • Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Cutler, Maine
  • Kitchen: Somerled House
  • Dining Companions: Brad, Deniz, Karen H, Dave, Matty, Serrana, Nicholas, and Enzo
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I picked this salad while standing in the grocery store in Machias, Maine, trying desperately to find all the ingredients for some salad or vegetable from The Book. Oddly, though they didn't have a big selection of produce, they did have chicory. So I figured I would make this salad while I had the opportunity. I was skeptical about it -- chicory is a very bitter green, and bitter greens are never my favorite. But actually this salad was better than I expected. Cutting the center stems from the chicory leaves made them less intensely bitter. The sweetness of the oranges also helped offset the bitterness. The dressing was very nice -- it was a simple red wine vinaigrette with mustard, but it complemented the greens quite well. The blanched and marinated red onions were visually appealing, and definitely a better choice than raw red onions would have been, both in terms of flavor and texture. Overall it was a pretty good salad. It was still very bitter -- too bitter for my personal taste -- but for a salad centered around chicory, I thought it was good.

Here is the recipe.

After an inexcusably long silence, I am back. The last few days have been crazy. On Friday, five of us crawled back in the little Honda Civic hatchback to drive the 7 hours from the fabulous house in Maine back to Boston. We arrived late Friday evening. Saturday morning Matty and I took an early flight back to Columbus, where we spent the day attending 10-year high school reunion activities (his, not mine). Sunday morning we drove the four hours from Columbus back to Bloomington. Then I spent the rest of the day taking care of the final administrative details for my class so that I was ready to teach this morning.

My classes this morning went well. In total I have about 130 calculus students, divided into two sections. I have a lot of freshman, and I felt a bit privileged to be teaching them on their very first morning of college.

It was an exhausting day though, between teaching, sorting out various details for the web components of my classes, and trying to find answers to all sorts of administrative questions. Also the unpacking of my apartment continues, seemingly endlessly. I am exhausted in a good way though -- I have that satisfying feeling that I did almost as much today as I possibly could have. I like that feeling. And now for another feeling I like: bedtime!

No comments: