Thursday, August 02, 2007

Streusel-Sour Cream Coffee Cakes (Page 645)

  • Date: Saturday, July 28, 2007 -- 10am
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I made these coffee cakes as part of my ongoing effort to cook as much as possible from the Breakfast and Brunch section of The Book. These individual coffee cakes were good. They were made from a very simple, typical coffee cake batter, topped with a very simple, typical streusel topping. The only twist was a bit of orange peel in the batter, which added a nice hint of flavor. These coffee cakes were basic, but the recipe was just right to make a classic coffee cake. The muffin-sized cakes came out deliciously moist, with the perfect ratio of topping to cake. They were rich and lovely, and although I don't drink coffee, I had the feeling that I should be drinking some while eating one. The individual serving size added a bit of elegance to what might otherwise be a rather ordinary brunch item. I liked this recipe. It's nothing novel or innovative, but it tastes good.

Here is the recipe.

It was hot today -- a billboard in Boston claimed 100 degrees, but who knows if that's true. In any event it was hot, and I felt more than a little lucky to be house-sitting in a house with central air and a big swimming pool in the backyard. After a good morning of work I spent much of the afternoon swimming, lounging, and playing in the pool. They have two of those big inflatable loungers, and I have to admit, there are few places I would rather be than lounging on one of those, floating in the pool, on a hot summer day.

House-sitting ended today though, so this evening I am back in the city, sitting in front of a window air-conditioner, remembering what it is like to be a graduate student rather than a business executive. Actually I don't mind so much. I won't lie -- living the life of luxury for a few days was fun. But being in a small apartment, sitting on the futon in front of the air-conditioner is nice in a different way. It feels like home.

No comments: