Friday, August 17, 2007

Grated Potato Pancake (Page 566)

  • Date: Sunday, August 12, 2007 -- 12pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Ricky, Alex, and Gunther
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Matt, Ana, Wes, Glen, Genevieve, and Peter
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I picked this recipe for part of our brunch extravaganza on Sunday. This potato dish was ok. "Hash Browns" might have been a more appropriate name for it. Some people were rather upset by the use of the phrase "Potato Pancake" in describing this dish. (Matty: "If you insist on calling this a Potato Pancake, then I give it a D-. It tastes fine, but it's not a potato pancake. You might as well call it a ham sandwich.") Call it what you like, it was fine. The exterior got fairly crispy, while the potatoes on the inside were nice and tender. Some people found it dull, while others complained that there was too much pepper. I thought the seasoning was fine, although there was nothing terribly exciting about it. I would have preferred a higher ratio of crispy exterior to mushy interior (i.e. I would have preferred a thinner "pancake"). My main complaint though was that it was very unappealing visually. It's hard to appreciate from the picture, but the potatoes turned a nasty grayish-purplish color, that made the pancake look like something you weren't so sure you wanted to put in your mouth.

Here is the recipe.

My apologies for the long blog silence. The last few days have been crazy, but I can happily say that I have made it to Bloomington, along with my car and the rest of my belongings. The move went surprisingly smoothly actually. We had a little bit of a rocky start when the keys to the moving truck got misplaced before we got a chance to pack it, but after that things went as well as you could hope for. This is due, in no small part, to the generous people who helped us on both ends. In Boston Mike, Ricky, Matt, Ana, and Peter helped Matty and I pack the truck. They did such an amazing job packing that after a thousand miles of driving, the inside of that 16 foot truck looked exactly the same as it did when they packed it. Nothing moved! And the only thing that seems to have broken was one small Christmas ornament. Amazing! Speaking of amazing, four graduate students from the department here met up with us yesterday and helped unload the truck in to my new apartment. I had never even met three of these students before, yet they came out in 90 degree weather to help me move in. And they brought homemade brownies! The biggest thank you, of course, should go to Matty, who drove with me all those miles, without complaint, and has spent many hours helping to both pack and unpack my belongings!

So everything I own has been safely transported from my old home in Somerville to my new home in Bloomington, thanks to the help of many very generous people. Thanks!

No comments: