Friday, August 17, 2007

Baked French Toast (Page 650)

  • Date: Sunday, August 12, 2007 -- 12pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Wes, Matty, Matt, Ricky, Glen, Genevieve, Alex, Gunther, and Ana
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This French toast was part of our brunch feast on Sunday. This recipe was excellent. I was skeptical about this baked French toast -- I worried it would lose some of its deliciousness if it wasn't fried on the stovetop. But actually, I preferred this to any other French toast I have had recently. It came out puffed and golden, with a perfect French toast flavor. One person complained it was soggy, which maybe reflected some uneven absorption (or baking?) because most people commented that it wasn't soggy at all. My favorite touch was the sugar sprinkled on top. It melted in the oven, forming a lovely sugar crust which was crispy and delicious! This was a hit with almost everyone, and was extremely easy to throw together. It was perfect for a crowd since the pieces don't have to be fried individually. This recipe was definitely a winner!

Here is the recipe.

Nothing will make you appreciate your car like driving a thousand miles in a 16 foot truck, towing a car carrier with a car on top of it! Driving that thing was quite an experience. For the first few hundred miles I was terribly worried that either the car carrier would come unhitched, or the car would come off of it. I kept thinking about the disastrous accidents it would cause on the highway to have a car suddenly fall in to the road. In reality, those things have so many safety systems that there is no way that the car was going anywhere, but I was still concerned.

The first night on the road we stayed in a hotel. The area was a little sketchy -- the hotel was across the road from some sort of jail or prison. I was a little worried about the fact that all of my belongings were in the hotel parking lot, so I had a hard time sleeping. In particular, it worried me that my car was just sitting on a car carrier, waiting to be driven off by anyone with a tow hitch. So, in a moment of possibly (slightly) unreasonable behavior, I made Matt come out to the parking lot with me at 1 am and drive the car off the carrier. Needless to say, this was not my most well-received idea ever -- especially since getting the car off the carrier required climbing under the car in the middle of the night.

Anyway, we (the car, me, Matt) made it to Bloomington safely in the end!

2 comments:

TasteTV : Life Never Tasted So good said...

Reminds me a little of croissant bread pudding!

Teena said...

Yeah it was a bit like that, but a little less rich!