Saturday, August 18, 2007

Baked Eggs and Mushrooms in Ham Crisps (Page 634)

  • Date: Sunday, August 12, 2007 -- 12pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Matty and Ana
  • Dining Companions: Matt, Ricky, Alex, Gunther, Wes, Glen, and Genevieve
  • Recipe Rating: C+


I chose this recipe to be served as part of our big brunch buffet last weekend. On the positive side, these egg cups were extremely cute. They looked very much like something I wanted to eat. As it turned out though, they didn't taste particularly good. In general I like tarragon, but in this instance it overpowered the other flavors in the mushroom mixture. I would have preferred to taste the mushrooms and shallots more, and the tarragon less. The eggs and the ham were just ok. The ham got a bit tough in the oven, and not as crispy as I hoped it would. Overall, this dish seemed to be more about presentation than flavor. The presentation was indeed nice, but the flavors just didn't come together for me. This was the one dish from brunch that no one seemed to have any strong positive feelings for.

Here is the recipe.

Being in Boston tonight I am feeling surprisingly homesick for my new apartment in Bloomington. I have only slept there for two nights so far, and my bed is still surrounded by boxes, packing material, and various half-unpacked items strewn about, but I really like it there. As soon as I started unpacking my stuff, putting my cookware into the cupboards and my clothes into the closets, it quickly began to feel like home to me. I can't wait to buy some groceries and do some cooking in my new kitchen (equipped with tons of counter space, a garbage disposal, and a DISHWASHER!). My mother is coming to visit me for a couple weeks starting on labor day, so my plan is to try to finish unpacking by then, and have her help me decorate things a bit -- she is excellent at that kind of thing. But that will have to wait until next Sunday, when I return to Bloomington.

No comments: