Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Tarragon Chicken Salad with Walnuts (Page 161)

  • Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Southborough, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C+


I chose this recipe to make last week because having some chicken salad around to eat for lunch for a few days seemed like a good idea. This chicken salad wasn't so good though, so we ended up not eating much of it and throwing most of the leftovers away. The main problem with this recipe was that it called for too much chicken. There was not nearly enough dressing for the amount of chicken, which left the whole thing quite dry. Plus, there was so much chicken that the chicken flavor dominated the flavor of the tarragon dressing. It's a shame really because I was looking forward to this more sophisticated version of chicken salad. In fact, I was even looking forward to the lower dressing to chicken ratio that this recipe promised. But I think it overshot in its effort to minimize the dressing, and ended up also minimizing moistness and flavor.

There is no recipe for this one online. No real loss.

Today there were fewer talks (it's very typical for these conferences to give you part of an afternoon off to explore the area), so we went to the beach. Although sitting on the beach probably isn't the first activity you think of when you think of Norway, it was fun! The water was pretty chilly, and rocky, but we had a good time. In leaving the beach I made a couple little mistakes though. For one, I accidentally left my tennis shoes on the beach. Whoops. I really liked those shoes and they have stopped making them. :( Second, when I was leaving I couldn't find Mike. I looked for him, but for reasons that I won't disclose, I didn't look as hard as I might have. Anyway, a bunch of other math people were still around so I figured Mike would just come back with them and it wouldn't be a big deal. Somehow I managed to forget that Mike had put many of his belongings in my bag, including his t-shirt. So, Mike ended up taking the bus back to downtown Oslo, and walking from the bus stop to our apartment without a shirt on. Apparently people stared. Needless to say, by the time he made it back to the apartment he wasn't so happy with me! Whoops!

No comments: