Friday, August 03, 2007

Green Chile-Cheese Puff (Page 653)

  • Date: Sunday, July 29, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Southborough, MA
  • Kitchen: Richard and Anita's House
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I picked this recipe as part of my ongoing project to cook as many things as possible from the Breakfast and Brunch section of The Book. This green chile-cheese puff was delicious. It was almost like a crust-less quiche, loaded with cottage cheese, monterey jack, and roasted poblano peppers. The eggs were beaten for 12 minutes, which gave them a lovely fluffy texture. The cheese puff was moist, but not moist like wet eggs (which some people (understandably) find repulsive) -- moist in a good way. The poblano peppers gave it both nice textural contrast and a little kick of spice. It was suggested to serve the cheese puff with salsa, which I found to be the perfect accompaniment. This was a very strong recipe. The eggs and cheese were in perfect balance to make a dish that was eggy without tasting only like eggs, and cheesy without being overpowered by cheese. It was quite good, and quick to make. We ate it for dinner but it would (obviously) make a delicious breakfast or brunch item as well.

Sadly there is no recipe for this one online.

I injured my knee today in a totally unglamorous manner involving my leg and an open car door. So now I am laying on the futon with my braced knee elevated with frozen peas on top, hoping that it feels significantly better before the long plane trip to Norway tomorrow.

When I was little I always secretly hoped I would break a bone. It seemed so fun: having the cast that everyone could sign, and crutches to walk around with. I was always jealous of the kids with a broken leg or arm. I broke my nose three times, and a toe once, but never anything that got you a big cast.

Now it sounds like a huge pain to break a big bone. After only a few hours of knee pain today I am already frustrated by not being able to move around like I want to. Being stuck in a cast for weeks would no doubt drive me batty!

No comments: