Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Wheat Berry and Barley Salad with Smoked Mozzarella (Page 152)

  • Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Southborough, MA
  • Kitchen: Richard and Anita's Kitchen
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I have been eying this recipe for some time now, so I made it last week for dinner. It sounded better than it actually was. The ingredients were excellent and it seemed impossible to go wrong by putting them all together. It ended just being way over the top though: too many strong flavors, too many different textures -- it was just too much. The balsamic vinegar was very overpowering in and of itself, but combined with the smoked mozzarella, raw garlic, chives, scallions, etc... it was just too many strong flavors in one place. I would have vastly preferred it if the mozzarella hadn't been smoked, or if there had been less balsamic (or ideally, both). Texture was also an issue. It was chewy, and squishy, and crunchy, etc... Overall this dish was just overpowering to my palate. I liked it, but I wasn't able to eat to much of it.

Here is the recipe.

After a long day of talks, I am sitting in a very comfy chair, listening to the rain, and drinking a horribly overpriced bottle of beer. Ah, Norway. I had some time between talks today to catch up with a variety of mathematicians I hadn't seen in a while, including my advisor, which was nice. Now I think we are going to throw together some dinner in our apartment. It's been fun living in an apartment with a bunch of friends. We have two apartments in the same little building. Six of us are staying in one apartment, and seven in the other. Between the two apartments we are housing most of the young people that are at the conference! I prefer renting an apartment to staying in a hotel room, especially because this way it is possible to cook most of our own food rather than pay the crazy prices at the restaurants. Mike and I are sharing a room in the apartment (as always!). People keep making fun of us that we bicker like a married couple!

Well I must go, it's time to make dinner!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you guys sharing a bed? If so, you might BE a married couple...

Teena said...

Well, we were sleeping in the same bedroom, but in two single beds that were pushed together for space reasons. Does that make us more or less like a married couple?

Anonymous said...

That makes you like one of those couples that has been married for so long that nothing happens any more.

Which, I guess, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Especially if you have stock in Duracell!

Teena said...

Ha ha... yeah, Mike and I definitely have a romance-free "marriage."

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with that. I've got the same thing with one of my friends.

Sometimes I worry about turning into a crazy cat lady, but it's ok.