Saturday, August 11, 2007

Corned Beef Hash (Page 659)

  • Date: Friday, August 3, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I chose this recipe as part of my ongoing mission to cook as many recipes as possible from the Breakfast and Brunch section of The Book this summer. This hash was ok. There were things about it that I thought were good, and things that I thought were bad. First, the positive. For one, the eggs were a wonderful addition. They were cooked right in the hash, which was attractive, and gave them a little extra flavor. I also loved the flavors of the potato, red pepper, and onion. And although the potato took longer than the indicated 5 minutes to brown, it came out perfectly cooked in the end. The downside of this recipe: keeping corned beef in "coarsely chopped"-sized pieces resulted in tough little chunks of meat throughout. There was some corned beef that got a bit more finely chopped in the food processor and that was a huge improvement. It dispersed nicely, added flavor more uniformly, and didn't have that really tough feel. I think I would actually like this recipe quite a bit if the corned beef was shredded or finely chopped instead of being left in bigger chunks. As it was, I picked out all the corned beef and happily ate everything else.

Here is the recipe.

I'm back! After a long day of travel yesterday, I fell asleep at 8pm last night, and woke up this morning at the leisurely hour of 6am! It is always shocking to me how the trip home from Europe is so much easier on your system than the trip there. That overnight flight to Europe is killer, and then your schedule is just completely thrown off. I was lucky this trip, and didn't have any real problems with jet lag. But several people had a lot of trouble sleeping, and I remember from previous trips how horrible that feels. The way home, though, is easy. You have one really long day, and the next day you feel fine (although you might be awake at 6am on a Saturday morning!).

Both of my flights were uneventful. The highlight: on the flight from Oslo to Amsterdam, I got up to go to the bathroom, and on the way back to my seat, some guy stopped me and said, "Excuse me, could you get me a cup of coffee?" Apparently I looked like I was a KLM flight attendant. I wasn't really sure how to take that.

Both directions we had fancy planes for the long flight over the Atlantic. The planes had those individual entertainment systems where you could choose your own movie to watch. They also had video games though, which I had never seen before! That was great. I don't like to fly, and I find that movies don't distract me much from the fact that I am flying. Video games did the trick though. I would start playing some stupid game, and then the next time I looked away, an hour and a half had passed. It was awesome!

No comments: