Monday, August 06, 2007

Grapefruit Ambrosia (Page 806)

  • Date: Monday, July 30, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Southborough, MA
  • Kitchen: Richard and Anita's House
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

I chose this recipe for dessert last week because I am trying to finish off the Fruit Desserts section of The Book. This recipe was not nearly as gross as it sounded. It contained the following ingredients: Grapefruit, Coconut, Pistachios, sugar, salt, and Campari, which, although I like all those ingredients separately, did not sound appealing together. As you can see, it was also not terribly visually appealing. But actually, it didn't taste bad. It tasted mainly of grapefruit, but the sweetness from the coconut and the sugar cut some of the tartness of the grapefruit. The pistachios added a bit of texture, and the Campari provided a little kick. It wasn't amazing -- I wouldn't make it again, and I certainly wouldn't serve it to company, but I enjoyed my serving. In fact I had seconds. It was very refreshing, which made it a nice dessert for a hot summer evening.

Here is the recipe.

Hello again from Oslo! Today was day one of the conference. There are a lot of amazing mathematicians here, and many of them are giving talks. So, to fit everyone in, the organizers scheduled six 1-hour talks per day. The talks have been great, but I think six in one day is too many! By the last talk I was completely exhausted (jet lag probably doesn't help...).

I haven't had much of a chance to explore Oslo yet, but from what I have seen of it, it seems like a really nice city. My only complaint is that everything is REALLY expensive. The conference organizers gave us a list of restaurants, not upscale, where we could get food. It said that the entrees at these restaurants cost about $35 each. And these weren't the fancy restaurants! Crazy! So tonight a bunch of us just went to the grocery store, bought some supplies, and threw together a simple dinner of pasta with a quick tomato sauce and vegetables. It was good, and definitely did not cost $35 a person! I have a feeling that this week might involve a lot of food cooked in the apartment. It's too bad I didn't bring The Book with me!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey girl - I totally understand what you mean by expensive food in Norway. After one regular meal there, I ended up eating at bakeries and McDonald's (yes, I am properly ashamed) in order to stay within budget.

While you are there, I recommend seeing the Vigeland sculpture park. Very cool, but kinda strange.

Looking forward to seeing you next week!

Teena said...

We went there! (The sculpture garden, not McDonald's) The park was so beautiful, but I agree that the sculptures of piles of babies were a bit odd!

See you soon!