Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Naan (Page 608)

  • Date: Sunday, December 23, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Parents' Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Teri, Terry, and Spencer
  • Recipe Rating: A


Matty got me a pizza stone and a baker's peel for Christmas, so I figured I would put them to good use and make some naan for our immediate family Christmas dinner! I have heard many people say many times that it is impossible to make good naan at home. Turns out, it's not true! This naan was delicious. It was soft and chewy, with a slightly crispy underside. The dough was flavored with onions and poppy seeds, and topped with mixed seeds. The naan was cooked on a pizza stone, which I think is key to achieving the characteristic bubbles and proper texture. It was very entertaining to watch it bake. Matty sat in front of the oven with the oven light on, watching the dough bubble and bake. I made it a few hours before dinner, which was dangerous. It looked too delicious not to eat, so as soon as it came out of the oven my mom, Matty, and I decided we would each have one bite. It was so good that one bite rapidly turned into several bites, and before I knew it, an entire flatbread was gone. After that I had to keep an eye on the remaining naan to make sure there was some left for dinner! Overall making and eating this naan were both great experiences! If you have a pizza stone and a baker's peel, I highly recommend trying this recipe. If you don't, you might consider buying them!

Sadly, this recipe isn't online.



Merry Christmas!! Christmas Eve yesterday was lovely. It was great to see everyone in my mom's family, and we had a fun time exchanging gifts, playing ping-pong and Sheepshead, and eating! The desserts I made were a hit (more on that when I get around to blogging about them). Here's the annual picture of my mom's family. I am hiding near the back! After the celebration we drove down to Chicago, to get a bit of a start on our journey to Columbus. We ate a non-traditional late night Christmas snack at a little Japanese restaurant near Brad's apartment, and then I fell asleep, exhausted.

Christmas Day started early this morning -- we got up at 6am to head from Chicago to Columbus. It was a perfect day for driving. The roads were great and (shockingly) there was no traffic on Christmas morning. I have never seen Chicago freeways so empty. We made the (usually) six hour drive in record time. The only problem was that nothing was open. About three hours into the drive I got really hungry. I was so hungry that I started to stare longingly out the window at every McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's that we passed -- all of them closed for the holiday! Fortunately I found a Luna bar stashed in the back seat of the car. That held me over until we made it to Columbus, where we had a delicious Christmas dinner with Matty's extended family. I have never had a holiday season with so many Christmas celebrations -- it's been great!

No comments: