Thursday, December 20, 2007

"La Brea Tar Pit" Chicken Wings (Page 55)

  • Date: Saturday, December 15, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike M, Teresa, Beth, Jeremy, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Marcia, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, and Tricia
  • Recipe Rating: A


I chose these chicken wings to serve at our holiday party on Saturday. I wasn't optimistic about this recipe. It didn't sound too good: chicken wings cooked in a combination of red wine, soy sauce, sugar, and ginger. Admit it, it sounds pretty bad. Much to my surprise though, these wings were delicious! The chicken was falling-off-the-bone tender, and the sauce was amazing. It thickened, and caramelized, and blackened into something delicious. As odd as it sounds. the flavors of the red wine and the soy sauce were fantastic together. No one at the party was quite as excited about these wings as Matty and I were, so there were plenty leftover to enjoy in the following days. And enjoy them we did! These were easily the best chicken wings I have ever had, and I can't recommend them enough.

Here is the recipe.

I am exhausted. Today was a Christmas shopping marathon. We started around 8:30am, and shopped until 3:30pm this afternoon. After a long break, we resumed briefly this evening. Usually I try to avoid shopping right before Christmas because the crowds make me crazy. Today it wasn't so bad though. We went to the busiest places first, and at 9am everything was pretty empty. It also helped that we managed to find everything we were looking for pretty easily -- that always improves my attitude about shopping. And now I am done with all my shopping for the season. Yay!

We don't have Christmas trees any more, partly because the apartment in Madison isn't too big and a tree would take up precious space. This year my mother got a Christmas branch instead of a tree. It's a big, fake, tree limb, and underneath it are piled all the presents. It's pretty funny. She even put ornaments on it. Ah, Christmas...

3 comments:

Laura said...

I cut that recipe out of food and wine years ago but have never made it. they look great, I'll have to make them next time I have a party

Laura said...

I guess the cut out is actually from Gourmet and not Food and Wine--I hadn't read the preface of your blog thoroughly before I commented

Teena said...

Yeah, it's a great recipe. I definitely recommend trying it!