Friday, December 21, 2007

Walnut Spice Cake with Lemon Glaze (Page 708)

  • Date: Saturday, December 15, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike M, Teresa, Paul K, Beth, Lauren K, Jeremy, Ayelet, Michael L, Ann, Daniel L, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Marcia, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, and Tricia
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I made this cake for our holiday party last Saturday. It wasn't bad, but I was still a bit disappointed by it. For one thing, it wasn't precisely what I was looking for. It was very dense, and not terribly sweet -- it was much more of an afternoon cake than a dessert cake. It wasn't dry, but it could have been a bit moister. I was expecting (and would have preferred) a moister cake with more spice to it and a lighter, more tender crumb. The glaze was also a mystery. If made with the indicated ingredients, it was as thick as paste. There was no way that it could be spread on a cake. I added more and more lemon juice until I got to a consistency that was at least spreadable. It was still pretty thick though, and as a consequence there was not nearly enough to cover the cake. So I made more. You can see in the picture that I still didn't cover the entire cake, but even that much glaze required at least double the recipe. Overall, this cake wasn't bad. I ate some leftovers as an afternoon snack a couple days later, and it hit the spot. But as an after dinner dessert, this cake was lacking.

Here is the recipe.

We just returned from a Sheepshead game in Oconomowoc. Sheepshead is a card game that seems to mostly be played in Wisconsin. In 1977, my dad and his college friends Rick, Spencer, and Don started a tradition of getting together every month for a Sheepshead game and they have been doing this for the past 30 years. A few years ago Spencer passed away, but my dad, Rick, and Don continue to play and sometimes my brother (also named Spencer -- not a coincidence) plays with them. These Sheepshead games started before I was born, and some of my earliest memories are of sitting on my dad's lap, watching him play cards. Rick and Don are like family, and it is always fun to see them. Today's Sheepshead game involved more eating and drinking than actual card playing (as these things often do) but it was great fun. This particular card game is also a tradition at family holidays on my mom's side of the family. On Christmas Eve half the family will sit in a side room all afternoon playing cards. I know how to play, although not terribly well. I didn't play at all today, but I'm sure I will play at least a few hands with the family on Monday. It's tradition...

2 comments:

Meg said...

Hi Teena -- I came to your blog from a link in Anna's Cookie Madness blog. Imagine my surprise to read the name of my unpronounceable hometown! I haven't lived in Oconomowoc in a very long time, but I still miss it. And sheepshead.

Teena said...

That's a crazy coincidence! I have only been to Oconomowoc a few times, but it seems like a nice place. My friend who lives there really likes it!