Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Chicken Stock (Page 928)

  • Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Tricia, Cornelia, Mike M, Teresa, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


Nothing says winter to me like making chicken stock. I love having a pot on the stove, boiling away for hours when it's cold outside. I make chicken stock frequently, but not usually from a recipe. Whenever I roast a whole chicken (or turkey) I throw the leftover carcass in a big pot with some veggies and herbs and I boil it for a few hours. This recipe was very different than my usual method. It called for a whole chicken. This seemed extremely odd to me. There is something sad about using a whole chicken, and when the stock is done, just throwing away all the meat. The meat isn't fit for serving though, since it is way overcooked by the time the stock is finished. I still might have bought into this method if the net result was vastly superior to the usual stock I make (which utilizes leftovers rather than requiring its own chicken). But, this stock wasn't significantly better. It may have had a bit more chicken flavor, but because the chicken went in raw, it didn't have the depth of flavor that you get with the roasted chicken carcass. Although the stock tasted good, I won't be using this method again. It just seems too wasteful.

The recipe in The Book is very similar to this one.

I tried to go to the doctor today. I made the appointment 3 months ago, and this morning was the first opening for a "new patient appointment." I made the appointment so long ago that sometime between then and now the medical center I was going to visit today had some sort of falling out with the insurance company that insures all IU employees so they are no longer an in-network provider for my insurance. I discovered all of this late last night. The whole point of this doctor's visit was to find a primary care physician in Bloomington. But there is no way I am going to pay the out-of-network price to see my primary care doctor. So, I canceled the appointment, and now I have no doctor.

It's not a huge problem. Before I left Boston, my tumor doctor prescribed me enough meds for most of the year, in case I couldn't find a suitable doctor right away. So I have plenty of medication. I should probably be having some blood tests, but I'm not too worried about it. It would be nice to have a primary care doctor here though. Plus, I need a referral to a tumor doctor too, which I haven't even attempted to deal with yet. Unfortunately, the medical center that is fighting with my insurance company houses a huge percentage of the doctors in Bloomington -- this little tiff that they are having supposedly affects 18,000 patients. So probably a lot of people are trying to find new doctor right about now...

No comments: