Saturday, December 22, 2007

Lemon Meringue Pie (Page 764)

  • Date: Saturday, December 15, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Mike M, Teresa, Paul K, Beth, Lauren K, Jeremy, Ayelet, Michael L, Ann, Daniel L, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Marcia, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, and Tricia
  • Recipe Rating: B-


You can't have a holiday party without a pie, and my pie options from The Book are becoming limited, so I chose this pie more or less by default. This pie was fine, but nothing extraordinary. I have no major complaints, but rather a list of minor ones. For one thing, the blind-baking directions were off. Of course it is always best to just ignore the timing and bake until golden brown, but it is worthwhile to note that after the indicated baking time the crust was terribly pasty-looking. The lemon filling tasted good, but didn't set up quite as much as I would have liked. The one really unappealing thing was that the meringue weeped quite a bit. This is a common problem with lemon meringue pie -- the egg whites release water as they cool, so the pie ends up with a pool of water between the lemon filling and the meringue top. It can be carefully drained off, but it still gives the whole pie a bit of sogginess which isn't great. All that said, the pie tasted fine. It wasn't the best lemon meringue pie I have had (or made) but it was certainly passable.

The recipe in The Book is very similar to this recipe.



Our immediate family Christmas celebration is tomorrow and the extended family Christmas is Monday, which means that is about time to start my Christmas cooking. The extended family holiday events are always at my Aunt Sue and Uncle Joe's house, and they do most of the cooking. This year I am in charge of dessert though, so there is a chocolate caramel cheesecake, a cranberry walnut tart, and a carrot cake on the horizon. For the immediate family Christmas tomorrow I am making dinner (Indian food -- not exactly traditional, but hopefully delicious!).

The nice thing about the fact that The Book is so huge is that I always have tons of options. Now that I have completed almost 600 recipes though, I am beginning to see on the horizon a point at which my cooking options will be limited by my desire to cook from The Book. I think this will happen in the dessert sections first. I love dessert and I love to bake, so the dessert sections are steadily getting closer and closer to complete. Long before I finish cooking the entire book, I will have no cakes and pies left to make. And then what will I do for holidays?!? In the meantime, I still have options, but the options don't all sound so great. It took some effort to come up with a Christmas dessert menu that would almost certainly be crowd-pleasing. It's not a bad problem to have though -- it means I am making progress!

Speaking of, I should start cooking...

3 comments:

ana rita said...

Happy Christmas, Teena!

Magdalen said...

Apologies for leaving this on a lemon meringue pie, but I really have no one else to share this story with. (I have a mathematician cousin at SUNY Stony Brook, but I don't have her email address.) Anyway, it's sort-of about food, just not about pi(e).

I was making scrambled eggs for my husband (chemistry grad from Oxford, now a computer software developer) and my ex-husband (physics grad from Cambridge, now a patent attorney) when the subject came up of how hard my husband likes his eggs. He's so nice, he was inclined to agree to anything, but you know how it is when you're cooking for a beloved -- you want it to be perfect!

"Hard?" I asked.
"Medium-hard," he temporized.
"I'll take that to mean 'hard'," I said.
The ex piped up. "He means he likes them hard but not polynomially hard."

Teena said...

Ana: Merry Christmas to you too! I hope you are having a wonderful holiday!

Magdalen: That's really funny!