Saturday, December 01, 2007

Scalloped Onions, Leeks, and Shallots (Page 554)

  • Date: Thursday, November 29, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I picked this recipe because it seemed like it would freeze well. I am trying to restock my poor, empty, freezer now that all the food in it was transported to Boston. This dish was odd. I liked it, but while eating it I realized I haven't had many dishes truly centered around the onion before. In this dish onions, leeks, and shallots are cooked together. A bit of of cream is stirred in, then the whole thing is covered with bread crumbs and cheese and baked. What you end up with has an excellent flavor (not really a surprise: onions are delicious, cheese is delicious, bread crumbs are delicious AND crunchy). I would probably give in an even higher grade than I have, but the directions for the recipe are quite off. You cook the onion, leek, shallot mixture on the stovetop for a while, covered, and then you take the cover off and continue to cook until the excess liquid has evaporated. The Book says that this evaporation step will take about 3-5 minutes. I had to evaporate for at least 25 minutes. Even then, not all the liquid was gone. I decided that perhaps I just didn't understand what The Book meant by "excess" so I stopped evaporating after 20 or 30 minutes, and baked it like I was supposed to. But then, the dish came out very watery, which was gross. So apparently I should have evaporated longer. This is all to say that the timing on the recipe was very off. It didn't bother me so much since I was just cooking for myself at home on a Thursday night, but if you were going to make this as part of a dinner for company, I would be careful about the timing. It actually takes significantly longer than it claims to.

Here is the recipe.

Greetings from Auburn, Alabama! I made it here without incident. The timing was pretty tight to catch my flight yesterday after my classes, so I wore my running shoes to class, and after my second calculus class I (literally) ran home so I could head to the airport. I made my flight (which was ON TIME -- I am always so in awe when I fly an airline that isn't Northwest, about how smoothly they operate. Yesterday I flew Delta. I don't know in general if Delta is a good airline or not, but compared to Northwest they are amazing!). I landed in Atlanta, met up with my special gentleman, and had a beer with some mathematicians from Georgia Tech. Then it was off to Auburn!

So here I am, in a swanky hotel in Alabama. The wedding I am here to attend is tonight. I don't think I have ever been to a wedding of two people I have never met before, so this will be a unique experience. (The groom is a good friend of my special gentleman -- I am not just crashing, although that too would be a unique experience.) I love weddings though, so I am sure it will be fun. Plus it sounds fancy -- the reception is in an art museum! There are so few occasions for fanciness in a mathematician's life, that I always appreciate them.

No comments: