Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Classic Creme Brulee (Page 835)

  • Date: Saturday, December 8, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Cornelia, Teresa, Mike M, and Tricia
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I was flipping through The Book to pick a dessert for Saturday and I discovered that (shockingly!) I hadn't yet made the creme brulee in The Book. I have made many creme brulee recipes in my life, and this one can certainly hold its own against the others. It was smooth, and rich, with a lovely burnt sugar top. It took longer to set in the oven than the recipe indicated. Also, it was very thick -- almost too thick. But it had a lovely vanilla flavor, and would certainly make a fine base custard for one of any number of creme brulee variations. There is nothing exciting or novel about this recipe, but if you are going for classic, this will certainly suit your needs.

This recipe isn't online.

I had a friend in graduate school who always made creme brulee as part of his "date meal," i.e. the meal he made to impress women. I helped him perfect his creme brulee, and in return I would often get a leftover creme brulee the day after his date. It wasn't a bad deal really. I have a lot of male friends, and through the years I have helped fine tune many a date meal. It always makes me laugh when my friends are trying to impress a date by cooking, but I understand why they do it. I, myself, have certainly been impressed by some date meals cooked for me. For one thing, it demonstrates that someone is excited about you if they cook a special meal just for you. And if they cook well, that's just the icing on the cake! The finest date meal every cooked for me: a blood orange and seared tuna salad with a side of meyer lemon orzo. It was good. Very good. He and I ultimately became friends and did a lot cooking together (until I moved away!). Since I went to culinary school, no one wants to cook for me anymore. Apparently it's intimidating. I don't know why, since I love to eat, and I will eat anything! I am always happy to help with other people's date meals though. Anyone want to learn to make creme brulee?

3 comments:

Mike Hill said...

I once cooked something for Teena. Well, it was more that she helped me do a trial run of a pie that I was making to bring to Thanksgiving dinner with Tim's family, but still, she got to eat a lot of it, and I did a non-trivial amount of the cooking. She was a great eater! She gave it an overall grade of a B (A for flavor and ease, C for the chef), which I found a little strange, since it wasn't from the book and she wasn't cooking it. Maybe it was just a comment on me. I would highly recommend cooking for Teena!

Magdalen said...

Come to Northeastern Pennsylvania and I'll happily cook for you. I love to cook and will cook for almost anyone.

Teena said...

Mike: You're so full of shit. You did make me a pie once, but I did not give it a grade of B! That pie was good...

Magdalen: Thanks for the offer! I will keep that in mind if I am ever in Northeastern Pennsylvania!