Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sesame Tempura Green Beans with Soy DIpping Sauce (Page 44)

  • Date: Saturday, December 8, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Cornelia, Tricia, Teresa, and Mike M
  • Recipe Rating: A-


We had a pan-Asian feast last night, and I chose these tempura green beans to go with it. They were quite good. Often I don't enjoy restaurant tempura because I find it so terribly greasy. These greens bean didn't have that problem though. Perhaps this batter absorbed less oil than some tempura batters, but for whatever reason they tasted delicious and fried without making me feel ill! They were nice and crispy right out of the fryer, but they got a little soft as they sat, so be sure to serve them immediately! The dipping sauce was awesome. In fact, I was more impressed with that than with the tempura itself. It was a very simple combination of soy sauce, lime juice, and superfine sugar, but it tasted amazing, and was a perfect complement for the tempura. Overall, I thought this was a nice appetizer, and I suspect that you could substitute a variety of other vegetables for the green beans with equal success.

Here is the recipe.

Last night I had my first dinner party in Bloomington. How is it possible that I had not yet had anyone over for dinner? Part of it, I think, is that I am always hesitant to serve new friends a dinner entirely from The Book. Sometimes the food isn't so good, and I don't want to make a bad first impression! Often when a new person is introduced to my project there are lots of other people around who have been eating book food for months (or years!), so there is at least a general enthusiasm in the group about eating the sometimes-suspect food from The Book. In Bloomington, though, I didn't really know anyone here before I arrived, so all my friends here are new friends! Finally I decided though that I was tired of cooking for just myself, so I invited some people I like over for dinner yesterday, and I made a dinner entirely from The Book. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the food was a bit better than your average book dinner -- in fact, it was consistently pretty good. Perhaps I should take that as a sign that is is about time that I start inflicting my project on the kind-hearted people of Bloomington!

No comments: