Sunday, December 23, 2007

Mocha Mousse Filling (Page 793)

  • Date: Saturday, December 15, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike M, Teresa, Paul K, Beth, Lauren K, Jeremy, Ayelet, Michael L, Ann, Daniel L, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Marcia, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, and Tricia
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This was the filling for some eclairs that I made for our party last Saturday. It was tasty. (Matty is telling me that perhaps I am a little drunk. "Maybe you should blog tomorrow morning." But no, I am plowing ahead, despite the one and a half drinks I consumed this evening [that's fifty percent more than my usual limit of one drink]). Anyway, as I was saying, this filling was tasty. It was rich and chocolatey, with a nice touch of coffee flavor. The texture was just right -- light and airy, but still with a richness to it. It piped easily into the eclairs. Usually I fill my eclairs with vanilla pastry cream, and I was a bit hesitant to deviate from that always-successful standard. But this filling was also tasty, and worked quite well. It would make a perfectly good stand-alone dessert as well -- you could put it in fancy glasses, chop the "filling" off the title, and no one would be the wiser.

This recipe isn't online.

Today was our immediate family Christmas celebration, which meant that mom, dad, Spencer, Matty and I ate a big dinner together, and then opened presents and drank bourbon. Merry Christmas! It also meant that I cooked all day today. It was a perfect day for cooking, as the weather here was atrocious. It was cold, and everything (including the roads) was covered with a layer of ice and then a layer of snow. I ventured out only briefly [one of the gifts Matty got me for Christmas was a pizza stone. I took it out of the box today to make naan, and discovered that it was broken in half. We went to Williams-Sonoma this afternoon to exchange it for an unbroken one, and the mall was empty. That's how bad the weather was]. So most of the day I stayed in. I made dinner tonight from The Book (4 recipes!), desserts from The Book for tomorrow's extended family Christmas celebration (3 more recipes!), and then something for my parents and brother to eat for dinner on Christmas day after Matty and I have left for Columbus (on that one I cheated and made something from The Book that I have already made -- since I won't be here to eat it). So it was a busy day of cooking. I enjoy setting aside a whole day to spend in the kitchen though, and it was worth it when dinner turned out just perfect. The food was great, and it was nice to sit around the table all together and enjoy a Christmas meal (of Indian food!). After dinner we opened presents, and I got some great gifts, including an old copy of Larousse Gastronomique from my brother.

I am so much in the Christmas spirit this year and I am very much looking forward to celebrating again with my mom's family tomorrow.

2 comments:

Magdalen said...

Teena (and all her great friends) -- Merry Christmas! It's been a pleasure to crash this party. I found you through a review you posted on Epicurious about wedding cakes. I'm planning an English wedding in the spring (we're already married, but would like a "real" service for his family) and briefly (!) thought about whether I could make my own wedding cake. (Decided: Waitrose can probably do a decent enough job!) Your review of one wedding cake recipe linked to your blog, and the rest, for me, is self-evident.

I've really enjoyed revisiting life at a university (a million years ago, I was a grad student/teaching assistant in Philosophy at the University of Arizona) and reading about your social life. Thanks for sharing!

Magdalen

Teena said...

Well thank you for joining us! Merry Christmas to you too!