Monday, December 24, 2007

Mocha Eclairs (Page 792)

  • Date: Saturday, December 15, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike M, Teresa, Paul K, Beth, Lauren K, Jeremy, Ayelet, Michael L, Ann, Daniel L, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Marcia, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, and Tricia
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I made these eclairs for our party last Saturday. I modified the recipe oh-so-slightly in that I made mini eclairs rather than full-sized ones. That seemed more appropriate for a dessert party with many dessert choices. These eclairs were tasty. The pastry shell was a typical pate a choux recipe, which came out just right. The filling was delicious (see below). The glaze was also tasty, but I'm not sure why they suggested that the glaze should be spread on the eclairs. Everyone knows eclairs should be dipped! So I dipped. But dipping requires more glaze, since you get a nice, thick, beautiful coat. So I probably made two to three times as much glaze as was indicated in the recipe. I'm not sure I preferred these eclairs to the ones I usually make (filled with pastry cream) but they were delicious!

This recipe isn't online.



It's Christmas Eve and everyone is running around the apartment trying to finish everything up before we head to my aunt and uncle's house. I got an early start, as Matty and I are headed straight to Columbus from Fond du Lac (where my relatives lives). So we have packed the car to the brim with luggage, and gifts, and desserts, and all sorts of other things brought or acquired.

Christmas Eve at my aunt and uncle's house is always crazy and fun. It will be a day filled with card-playing, doubles ping-pong, present opening, and of course: eating! There are probably 20 or 25 of us on that side of the family, and everyone will be there this year. I am looking forward to it. Speaking of, we are heading out the door, but Merry Christmas to everyone! I hope you all have a lovely holiday, filled with good cheer and delicious food!

No comments: